Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Cover(s) outdoors

Special K

Question

Ok, I have a sense of what the responses are going to be, but I have to ask.

We live close to the ocean (coastal fog) and we have a 2003 Blue Eurovan Weekender (non-pop top) that I use to camp and take surfing. It is in great shape and I get compliments and comments all the time. I have a nice outdoor cover I have used in the past when I know it is going to sit for more than a few days. I only covered it after it's washed.

This weekend I am going to do a full detail, correct (has swirls and light scratches in some spots), polish, seal, and finish with buttery wax. This will be my first go with the swirl killer.

My gut says not cover it after all that work has been done as to not introduce new scratches, but then I consider the elements around the ocean and I think maybe I should cover. Either way, now that I'm excited about detailing our vehicles, the Eurovan is going to get a lot more love, so maybe the additional care will negate using the cover. 

By the way, is it just me, or are others constantly observing paint imperfections (not just our cars). I found so many new defects in my wife's beautiful sapphire black Volvo than I ever saw before I started my rookie year in detailing. 

Thanks for the input

Aloha,

Kevin

6 answers to this question

Here's what I've been doing for years.  (Everyone has heard this before)  Buy a couple of super soft micrfiber or fleece king size flat sheets and sew the ends together. Put THAT over your car before the cover.  Those covers can and do scratch.  The soft sheets make a nice barrier between cover and car, plus it goes right into the washer and dryer when needed.  I use just that in the summer, but then I have a garage so my rides aren't in the elements.  But I recommend using this to keep the minor swirls and scratches away.  

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Here's what I've been doing for years.  (Everyone has heard this before)  Buy a couple of super soft micrfiber or fleece king size flat sheets and sew the ends together. Put THAT over your car before the cover.  Those covers can and do scratch.  The soft sheets make a nice barrier between cover and car, plus it goes right into the washer and dryer when needed.  I use just that in the summer, but then I have a garage so my rides aren't in the elements.  But I recommend using this to keep the minor swirls and scratches away.  

And you can take a nap on your hood to watch over your (other) baby at night. ?

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Rich said:

Thanks for the tip. Sure would hate to put a bunch of new scratches and swirls in the recently corrected paint. 

Oh Yeah, Here's a couple photos of the finished full correction. I missed a couple spots due to lighting. I worked on the Eurovan over a number of days after work and ran out of light and pulled it in to the garage which I could use some better lighting. Plus my eyes need correcting as well. I appreciate all the assistance.5a6fb8e01c7e9_BlueEuro1.thumb.JPG.52f33bfb796b981fb0f7ccb70f241ac8.JPG

Blue Euro.JPG