Customer Service 866.965.0400

How many of you guys have "superficial" windshield chips?

Ekim716

Question

On daily drivers, it's basically inevitable to get small, rock chips (too small to really do anything about). Depending on where they are, they can be really annoying and fixate on them while driving. How do you guys deal with them? 

Is this just me, or do you guys view them the same way?

16 answers to this question

I hate those things.  But everybody gets them.  Just watch for spidering.  If the little chips start to look like they're growing legs. Then you'll want to replace the window or have the hole filled.  The windshield will crack and break if you don't. I had mine filled and it worked out fine.    

We had one like this, and actually I called Safelite thru our insurance they came out and looked about it.  The guy told me it wasn't in the glass but it was more in the film on the top layer, he filled it with resin and polished it and you could never tell the different.  Looked like a little spec of dirt until we had it fixed. 

Bad thing is, when you get one of those chips, your eyes only seem to want to focus on the chip and stray from the road.   Like some kind of subliminal message is being sent from the chip to your brain!!  Can't help yourself!  :wacko:

I'm on a replacement window for my Stingray.  The new windshield was 2 days old when I got a small chip in it.  Since then I've added a couple more.  Fortunately none are in my line of sight.  But my eye is still drawn to them.  Stupid rock chips!

The window is a safelite replacements, maybe I'll have em look at it to see if it can be filled.

37 minutes ago, Hupp2it said:

I'm on a replacement window for my Stingray.  The new windshield was 2 days old when I got a small chip in it.  Since then I've added a couple more.  Fortunately none are in my line of sight.  But my eye is still drawn to them.  Stupid rock chips!

The window is a safelite replacements, maybe I'll have em look at it to see if it can be filled.

Im curious how they manage to reconnect and reapply things like cameras for rain sensors and registration/inspection. 

22 hours ago, Ekim716 said:

Im curious how they manage to reconnect and reapply things like cameras for rain sensors and registration/inspection. 

My Stingray is an LT1 Z51, so some fun track upgrades but none of the windshield fun like the HUD.  

On 1/23/2018 at 1:01 PM, Ekim716 said:

It’s pretty easy actually. It’s just plug and play. If there is a rain sensor I always do a new gel pad or it may not work after installation. The only thing that needs the dealer for is if you have the automatic brake system with the cameras. Like the Subaru eyesight system.

The stickers I can heat them up and carefully get them off to reuse.

Rock chips and cracks are normal up here in Alaska. Auto glass is what pays my bills. We usually have to do one new windshield a year.

Edited by FrozenWS6

On 1/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, LSX Maestro said:

I have this on my daily driver as well.  I was thinking about a new windshield but a resin and polish may be the way to go. 

The repair resins are only for the small rock chips (quarter size and smaller chips). If you have pitting across the whole windshield you’ll need to replace it.

Edited by FrozenWS6

9 hours ago, FrozenWS6 said:

The repair resins are only for the small rock chips (quarter size and smaller chips). If you have pitting across the whole windshield you’ll need to replace it.

All I have are extremely small chips, and I mean extremely small.  They look like dust flecks or overspray flecks but they don't clay off.  And I can feel most of them as an indentation with my finger.  There's no chips on the windshield over 1/16th of an inch. 

5 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

All I have are extremely small chips, and I mean extremely small.  They look like dust flecks or overspray flecks but they don't clay off.  And I can feel most of them as an indentation with my finger.  There's no chips on the windshield over 1/16th of an inch. 

Sounds more like what I would call sand blasted. Tiny little micro pitting which will cause a glare in the sun. That would need to be replaced.

It would cost a lot more to try to clean up the glass that’s there then replacing it.

It’s funny you started this thread. I just did my wife’s windshield Sunday. 3D eraser glass and man was this thing starting to show 90 miles round trip on the interstate. I then cleaned it and used Adams sealant on it. A little difference but not much. Does look better than what it was.