Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clinic in Connecticut - April 28 - official thread

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Hey guys and girls,

We are considering putting on a clinic in the spring. As some of you know we are a small detailer that actually works out of my private garage. We are willing to open it up for with clinic if there’s enough interest.  We are willing to cover whatever topics and products someone has. We have experience with Adam’s and other product lines. This would also be an opportunity to try hands on with some polishers you may not get to try all that much.

We may do it by offering to detail the vehicle of an attendee to showcase products, techniques and tips. 

I still have to reach out to Adams to see what kind of support we can get, but this would not be contingent upon their support. 

There would be no cost for the clinic. You could also order product through us and have it here for pickup the day of the clinic. We also have a large patio/pool at the house that depending on the timing we may be able to make a cookout afterwards out of it. 

We are located in Colchester, CT for those interested. 

Share your thoughts...

Edited by shane@detailedreflections
Title change

7 minutes ago, Paul_H said:

One of the topics I would be interested in learning about is the proper application, prep, and order of paint sealant, glaze, and wax. What they do and when to use what.  I'm a do it yourself king of guy and not sure I'm quite ready to tackle the prep and application for something like a ceramic coating. For now I'm looking to stay a little bit lower tech.

Thanks.

Paul

I promise you that we will cover that.  The prep for coatings and other LSP are virtually identical.  You just want to be a bit more picky before coating since you "lock" in the finish on the paint.  We will cover the how's and why's of sealants, glazes and waxes.  We will even discuss the alternative options out there to these products such as "one step" and others. 

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop...

So far we have confirmed

Paul 

Jimmy (from off forum)

Roy (from Corvette forum). 

Oz is checking his schedule.

We are hoping to build the list of attendees as the event gets closer. 

Please feel free to invite friends and family if they’d like to attend. We will scale the event accordingly. 

And as another perk of attendance, we will be offering a discount voucher on our services. We recognize that if you’re attending, you may not be inclined to utilize a detailer service so we’ve made it so this voucher can be used by yourself as the attendee or passed along to someone else if you’d like. It’s our way of personally saying thank you for your support and attendance.

Thanks again for the support!  

I’m also trying to get my partner Marquis to sign up here. He’s a master of his craft when it comes to interior work and has a lot of knowledge to share. He’s not a big forum guy, but I’m working on it. When/if he does, his username will be marquis@detailedreflections. Great guy and super knowledgeable. 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:29 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

Hey everyone.  I just spoke with Dr. ColorChip.  They are willing to send us one of their kits to demonstrate chip and scratch repair with their system.  I just have to see if I can find a small panel that we can use for demonstration purposes and get the year, make and model so we can do the color match on it.  But the Dr. ColorChip system should be on display.

Very cool!  They are good folks.  Just an FYI, they demo a very small white panel, with a few 'nicks' in the paint.

53 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Very cool!  They are good folks.  Just an FYI, they demo a very small white panel, with a few 'nicks' in the paint.

I’m working on obtaining a small panel. Maybe a mirror cover or something similar so it doesn’t take up a big space or time. He said they would send me a sample out just needed to let him know what color. They’re easy to work with. 

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. Hopefully it’s not violating any terms of use. 

Anyone interested can RSVP so we have adequate supplies. So far we have...

Paul

Oz and his son

Jimmy (one of my clients)

Matt (another client and neighbor)

Roy (from Corvette Forum)

We are hoping to draw a few more people in, but we have enough to run the clinic and gets lots of “tool time.”

I'm not attending as I'm in Colorado, but one thing i'd suggest--if you pick a car to use as your demo, pick on that needs some work--one that will show some results.   I've been to several demos and whoever it is wants to stroke the nicest car out there--that came in at 90-95% perfect.   Maybe the person putting on the demo thinks they're doing something by working on a car like that, but it isn't impressive at all.   I'm not saying dig a car out of a mudhole in a junk yard, but show what you and your products can do on daily driven and used cars.  

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

I'm not attending as I'm in Colorado, but one thing i'd suggest--if you pick a car to use as your demo, pick on that needs some work--one that will show some results.   I've been to several demos and whoever it is wants to stroke the nicest car out there--that came in at 90-95% perfect.   Maybe the person putting on the demo thinks they're doing something by working on a car like that, but it isn't impressive at all.   I'm not saying dig a car out of a mudhole in a junk yard, but show what you and your products can do on daily driven and used cars.  

I like your thoughts and that's exactly what we want to do.  We want to take a vehicle that people can see the results in.  Polishing something that's already close to perfect is great and all to get it there, but it doesn't showcase the ability of a product or compare two different products and their abilities. 

For the "wow" factor of what can be done, we will have a few cars on display.  We are coating a truck in Adam's Polishes on the Friday before, so it will be on display.  We will have one of our clients '71 Nova that's all restored and will be coated in another coating, as well as a Lotus Evora.  The demo cars will showcase the power of the products.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

So the tentative date for the clinic is April 28th as long as that works for enough people. I’m going to post it here and locally (so we can hopefully catch some work).

Now to narrow down the topics...

is there anything special anyone wants to see?  

I know someone asked about airbrushing coatings on wheels. I’m positive we can make that happen for someone. 

What else is there that people want us to focus on?  We are blocking off the day, so whatever you guys want and as long as you guys want to be there we can do it. 

We can peel back the layers of how we tackle a job?  We can focus on maintenance?  Polishing?  Protection?  Coatings?  The list goes on. Having ideas beforehand will be helpful so we can make sure we have the supplies needed. 

My thoughts were to take a vehicle and go through the exterior of it. And take another and go through the interior. That makes two lucky attendees getting some service done on their vehicles. 

This will be a hands on clinic. Attendees will be able to actually use our equipment and products to try things and see how they work. 

The clinic is being offered at ZERO cost to those who attend. You have the option of ordering product through us at the clinic or you can get me an order ahead of time and pick it up the day of the clinic. You are not obligated to purchase through us if you don’t want to. 

Please let us know if you plan to attend and topics you’d like covered. This is YOUR clinic put on by us. Let’s shape it the way you guys want rather than us droning on about topics you know or that don’t interest you. 

A new reseller opened up and Adam Pitale came out and hosted a great clinic.  You can check out the video of what he did and said by going to their facebook page: Park Place Auto Salon, Bellevue, WA.  May give you some tips on what to do (they did two clinics).  Also, they posted it on Eventbrite to take reservations for the event (no charge to attend or reserve a spot)...which gave them a good headcount as to attendees.  They also had product immediately available for people to purchase, and the items they sold out of were: wheel woolies, turbo sticks, and H20 Guard & Gloss (there may have been other products sold out, but I know for sure those three specifically sold out).  My friends Camaro was used as a demo for the afternoon session, and Adam roasts him really well regarding!  I got cold at one point and had to pull out my custom made chevy bowtie afghan...so if you watch the video, you will definitely see me out there...lol