Customer Service 866.965.0400

High spot in ceramic coating

Raige93

Question

This weekend I polished and coated my car ('16 GTI) and it being mine and being pressed for time I was rushing (not something I would do with a customer's car) and this morning I saw a high spot on my C pillar and 2 or 3 small high spots on my hood. What is the most efficient way of getting them out? Polishing? Compound then polish? This is the first I've run into this issue. Coating is CQUK if that matters. 

Thanks,

Raige

12 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Raige93 said:

This weekend I polished and coated my car ('16 GTI) and it being mine and being pressed for time I was rushing (not something I would do with a customer's car) and this morning I saw a high spot on my C pillar and 2 or 3 small high spots on my hood. What is the most efficient way of getting them out? Polishing? Compound then polish? This is the first I've run into this issue. Coating is CQUK if that matters. 

Thanks,

Raige

Anychance you could capture and post a picture of the high spots? Im looking to CC my car and curious what it looks like.    Then hoping another member can help fix the issue!!! Im sure when i coat my car its gonna have a few high spots

@tlbullet I'll get some pictures this afternoon, or at least try to, not sure how well they'll show up. It basically looks like a streak in the coating though on the C pillar, the hood looks like dark spots. Assuming it has to do with the way light is hitting it.

@shane@detailedreflections Thanks for the tip Shane, I'll give that a shot tonight if I get the chance. I've got some Scholl S40 left I'll give it a whirl.

1 hour ago, hamilton2400 said:

I've been able to use brilliant glaze to get rid of the high spots.  I've done this trick on 3 different occasions and it worked every time.   

Brilliant glaze will get rid of high spots, but usually only before the coating cures fully. Once it’s cured, mechanical abrasion is usually the only thing to remove most coatings (ranging from polishing to requiring wet sanding).

BG indeed fixed the high spot on my C pillar, however didn't do much in the way of fixing the spots on my hood. Do you folks reapply the coating after fixing a spot with BG

Forgot to take a picture of the C pillar unfortunately will try to get some of the hood later.

2 hours ago, Raige93 said:

BG indeed fixed the high spot on my C pillar, however didn't do much in the way of fixing the spots on my hood. Do you folks reapply the coating after fixing a spot with BG

Forgot to take a picture of the C pillar unfortunately will try to get some of the hood later.

BG will not remove high spots once it’s cured. You’ll have to polish it down and decide if you want to reapply quickly or not. We usually would reapply unless it’s a multi layer coating.