Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weird outcome when using DS on new car

OmniCamaro

Question

As probably most of you know the scenarios, I’m the go to for especially elder family members when they need their car cleaned.  I always treat them as they are my own, except I only seal the paint, never wax-just too much work for me at this stage of life.  

Anyway, my mom in law bought car this past fall.  We have only been able to use waterless wash instead of Detail Spray, our go to, because the detail spray makes the car look like it’s covered in grease or oil, really weird and something I’ve never seen.  I’ve held off on stripping it because I’m not sure what’s on it.  

My question is, does this sound like a ceramic coating?  Has anyone use detail spray on ceramic coatings?  There’s something odd (odd that I have never seen the way my usual products react to it) on the paint.  It’s almost a rainbow effect streak like thing when using detail spray.  

Thanks all!

i wish I had pictures but I don’t and I won’t be able to for a few weeks.  Sorry for that.  

5 answers to this question

Sounds like there is some kind of dealer-installed coating on the car.  It makes sense that the Waterless Wash doesn't react the same way since the WW doesn't contain any carnauba wax like the DS does. If you have any Ceramic Boost, give its try and see if you get the same streaking effect as the DS.  

Strip wash it.  If it's actually a Ceramic Coating, which I doubt it is because DS applies just fine over one, the strip wash/APC + CS will not hurt it and will just cut off the road film/oil that's on the surface.  That's a big problem with ceramic coatings, they need a deep clean every few months or so. A strong wash like Reset or Strip Wash from Adam's helps to cut road film and get it beading like it should.  Ceramic Coatings can only be removed via friction, i.e. polishing/wear and tear over the year(s). So don't worry about stripping it off.  But I bet it's some nasty film/grime/oil that's on the surface and needs a strong wash/clay/decon/polish to remove.  

What kind of car is it? I know that Mercedes Benz among others has a Quartz/SiO2 substance in their clear coat and makes the paint bead/repel everything for quite a while.  

Edited by LSX Maestro

I've seen that happen when all in ones are used on rides, like New Finish in the orange bottles at WalMart, and some other cheap brands.  It's almost like they use petroleum in them and that's what makes the greasy look. 

I definitely would do a complete strip and clay, seal, polish and wax.  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I've seen that happen when all in ones are used on rides, like New Finish in the orange bottles at WalMart, and some other cheap brands.  It's almost like they use petroleum in them and that's what makes the greasy look. 

I definitely would do a complete strip and clay, seal, polish and wax.  

Agreed...but swap the seal and polish steps ;).