Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advice on my process

MikeSoFlo

Question

What's up everyone! A buddy of mine wants me to detail his exotic car. Its a garage queen with occasional driving. The car is in good condition as it doesn't get driven much but it hasn't had a legit detail in many years. Here's what I'm thinking about for my process after the wash and just want your .02 on the matter ... 

First I was going to hit it with a Clay Mitt and Detail Spray to remove any containments. Since the car isn't driven very often I was going to leave the Clay Bar behind and hit it with the Clay Mitt I just got. 

Second, Correcting Compound. There are some decent swirl marks but nothing very deep. The Correcting Compound will be used on the worst areas. 

Third, One Step Polish to finish out the compounding and clear out the last of the imperfections. 

Fourth, Ceramic Paste Wax finished off with Ceramic Boost Spray to add protection.

Thanks in advance for your help! 

8 answers to this question

Here’s a few thoughts, especially with an exotic car in mind. 

- Don’t use a clay mitt. Use a clay bar. There’s far less risk of marring the paint that way. Clay mitts have a place. For us, it’s only when we know we are going to an actual polish. No point in adding damage needlessly. 

- You mention correcting compound. Then you say only on damaged areas. Why not do a test spot and see how far you need to go?  Finishing may get you there with light damage. A car in good condition shouldn’t need much in the way of heavy compound. We tend to use it for scratch removal or very isolated areas of heavy damage on well maintained vehicles. If a vehicle comes in rough, we will use it on the wntire car. Find a damaged area, do a test spot running least to most aggressive and make a decision on the process to be used. 

- One step polishes are a compromise. It won’t protect or polish as well as a dedicated product. Being a garage queen and an exotic, we would try to sway the customer towards the extra dollars for the better finish that dedicated products would provide. 

- Here’s where opinions vary wildly. In my opinion if the car is not ceramic coated, there are better (and easier to use) products than ceramic based ones. We would seal it with a sealant, glaze it to fill in any imperfections that do remain while adding gloss and top it with a quality paste wax (Adam’s Americana, Patriot or another wax we use from another supplier).  This offers the dedicated products for a lasting finish without compromise that your client will appreciate over cutting corners and compromising.

All of that being said, make sure you’re cautious in your approaches and make sure you do the least amount of damage possible. And repairing a clearcoat is doing “damage” in terms of removing clear coat. It’s a destructive process 

Thanks for the info Shane! You recommend:

Clay Bar

Finishing/Correcting Compound (depending on level swirl marks)

Seal

Glaze

Wax 

Do you apply the sealant and glaze with a machine or by hand? I can see the value in adding the sealant with a machine but what about the glaze? 

The full work flow would look like this:

-Wheels

-Wash

-Iron remover

-Clay

-Correcting Polish (if needed)

-Finishing Polish

-Sealant

-Glaze

-Wax

All applied by machine with the exception of the wax. That’s a hand process. Sealant and glaze go on at low speed. You’re simply applying, not performing a mechanical process like with polishing. 

I think you’ll have a better, longer lasting finish then your initial process. Your mileage may vary based on the goals for appearance and durability that you and your client have. 

Thanks again Shane. The car is "clean" ... It's hand washed regularly, just hasn't been polished and waxed. I'll hit it with waterless wash if it needs it but that last time I saw it, I didn't see any dirt on it. 

45 minutes ago, MikeSoFlo said:

Thanks again Shane. The car is "clean" ... It's hand washed regularly, just hasn't been polished and waxed. I'll hit it with waterless wash if it needs it but that last time I saw it, I didn't see any dirt on it. 

If you’re going to do a detail, take the time to wash the car again. Make sure it’s fresh. Just because it’s not seen doesn’t mean it’s not there. Shortcuts in the work will give shortcuts in the results. Waterless has its place as a maintenance cleanup. But it’s generally not where we would start for a full detail. Clean or not.