Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Sealant issues

Bscott94

Question

I’m currently applying paint with my SK15 using a 6” grey foam pad from harbor freight. It’s set on speed 1.5. I let it hangout for about 5 minutes while I applied it to the front fenders. You can see polish marks on the hood. Did I work it too thin? How can I remove these marks? Tips for the rest of the car? 

194E40DA-5ACB-4A6D-8CF9-54D14CCD7CE0.jpeg

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Bscott94 said:

Thanks everyone. I ended up going over the hood with an alcohol solution and then applying PS to the hood and rest of the car by hand. I'll have to try again with the machine. I didn't think it too much time or effort to do it by hand. Is there a benefit to applying by machine? 

Yes, the benefit applying with a machine is for one it's faster and secondly you can lay down a thin coat......less is more.

Are those polish marks or sealant? Either way, just wipe clean with some APC, coating prep or 50/50 isopropyl alcohol, then reapply the sealant. Keep in mind PS down need to be "worked in" like polish. Just apply evenly around the car in one pass, slow speed (what you have now at 1.5 should be good).

Yup typical error, cant say how many times I have made it, and how many others have. The paint sealant is a product that needs to be laid down really thin. It will easily haze over and should remove fairly easily. If not give it a light detail spray dusting and it should work off with a micro fiber 

Thanks everyone. I ended up going over the hood with an alcohol solution and then applying PS to the hood and rest of the car by hand. I'll have to try again with the machine. I didn't think it too much time or effort to do it by hand. Is there a benefit to applying by machine? 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, Chris@Adams said:

Yes, the benefit applying with a machine is for one it's faster and secondly you can lay down a thin coat......less is more.

Yep, the 4 dots as described on the bottle I can machine seal the car and touch up small spots by hand quickly, less than 30 minutes. 

My question is is there any benefit to leaving LPS on longer? I'm coming from using Menzerna powerlock where I'd leave it overnight. But I've noticed if I leave LPS it's just harder to remove but I'm wondering if there's any added protection with that. 

Edited by Sump

3 hours ago, Sump said:

Yep, the 4 dots as described on the bottle I can machine seal the car and touch up small spots by hand quickly, less than 30 minutes. 

My question is is there any benefit to leaving LPS on longer? I'm coming from using Menzerna powerlock where I'd leave it overnight. But I've noticed if I leave LPS it's just harder to remove but I'm wondering if there's any added protection with that. 

Not in my experience. Adam's PS is pretty much apply and remove, no wait required.