Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Boost application gone wrong

.Griff.

Question

I had my car ceramic coated at the start of the year - IGL Quartz for any of those familiar with that product.

As a result, I'd been looking at something like Gyeon Cure or CarPro Reload to use as a maintenance/top-up LSP after every 3rd or 4th wash before deciding to give Adams Ceramic Boost 2.0 a try. I'm conscious that CB has been improved in the new iteration but there's doesn't appear to be anything on the bottle to confirm that's what I've received. I'm in the UK so it wasn't ordered directly from Adams.

Long story short. I washed the car with Adams Shampoo, rinsed with my RaceGlaze DI filter, blow-dried the panel gaps, mirrors etc and ensured the paintwork was dry before applying CB as per the instructions in the shade. However, no matter how careful I was the paintwork is covered in smears which I just can't seem to shift.

What's the best method to rectify this? Please be mindful this isn't me bashing the product, simply something went wrong with the application and I'm not sure how to safely remedy it. 

Edited by .Griff.

12 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Smear marks sound like high spots in the coating application. Try some brilliant glaze on it if it’s newly applied to see if that works, otherwise use some finishing polish to knock it down and reapply the coating. 

Yea I was afraid of that also.  They are very minor are honestly very hard to see. I am ordering the Brilliant Glaze now and I am also going to get the Ceramic Paste Wax.  So the plan is the try the brilliant glaze first.. If that really doesn't get me where I want then I will try the All Purpose Cleaner.  So the question now is after I get it where I want it do I boost it again before I wax it?   Can I wax on top of the glaze? The car is metallic black and I am new to all this.  So for the challenge of having a black car I am happy with the current results.  As long as whatever I do cannot be undone or unfixable, short of painting the car.  So far it seems not matter what I do worst case I will have to polish it back down.  Will the finishing polish be enough to get through the ceramic coat?  If so that is great.. I won't have to do the full three step process again.

Thanks for all the great info.  

If you have the finishing polish already, skip the glaze. Polish it down with finishing polish, reapply coating, buff it off and move on.

I’m skeptical about the claim of glaze on cured coating personally. If it will remove high spots once fully cured, what stops it from removing the coating completely?  I get the concept of uncured or partially cured, but not a fully cured coating. That’s typically abrasion only. 

You can wax over a glaze. Glaze is a very short lifespan product. And while you can wax over a ceramic coating, I’d ask why?  Is it just that you want an additional layer of protection?  If so, have at it. In my opinion it’s not required and somewhat defeats the purpose of a coating which is commonly reduced maintenance (not maintenance free). 

So in short, some finishing polish on a microfiber or machine with a finishing pad, polish it down quick (literally won’t take long), reapply coating and level it. Live happy. That’s the quickest and easiest solution instead of trying things. This will work the first time. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:49 AM, .Griff. said:

I had my car ceramic coated at the start of the year - IGL Quartz for any of those familiar with that product.

As a result, I'd been looking at something like Gyeon Cure or CarPro Reload to use as a maintenance/top-up LSP after every 3rd or 4th wash before deciding to give Adams Ceramic Boost 2.0 a try. I'm conscious that CB has been improved in the new iteration but there's doesn't appear to be anything on the bottle to confirm that's what I've received. I'm in the UK so it wasn't ordered directly from Adams.

Long story short. I washed the car with Adams Shampoo, rinsed with my RaceGlaze DI filter, blow-dried the panel gaps, mirrors etc and ensured the paintwork was dry before applying CB as per the instructions in the shade. However, no matter how careful I was the paintwork is covered in smears which I just can't seem to shift.

What's the best method to rectify this? Please be mindful this isn't me bashing the product, simply something went wrong with the application and I'm not sure how to safely remedy it. 

Ceramic Boost is easy to over apply. A little bit goes a long way. Generous application leads to streaking. Keep buffing with a soft microfiber to level the boost and pick up any excess. Literally you need a spray or two per panel (especially once the first panel or two is done and the towel is primed).

On 4/8/2019 at 5:12 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

Ceramic Boost is easy to over apply. A little bit goes a long way. Generous application leads to streaking. Keep buffing with a soft microfiber to level the boost and pick up any excess. Literally you need a spray or two per panel (especially once the first panel or two is done and the towel is primed).

Unfortunately, I followed the instructions on the bottle, namely "Generously spray". Adams has confirmed that the labelling/instructions are being changed but that's too little too late for me.

Two months after my original post and I'm still struggling to remove the smears. Seeing as the underlying ceramic coating was only applied at the end of December I really don't want to resort to polishing. 

I thought about trying some panel wipe over the weekend as that's literally the last thing I haven't tried.

Edited by .Griff.

I had some trouble with streaks on my boost application. (Was using 1.0) had a bottle of 2.0 and tried it out... it’s much better than the original formula. Little to no streaking. 

I didn’t like the boost because it seemed like more work due to the streaking. 2.0 is fantastic! 

10 hours ago, .Griff. said:

Unfortunately, I followed the instructions on the bottle, namely "Generously spray". Adams has confirmed that the labelling/instructions are being changed but that's too little too late for me.

Two months after my original post and I'm still struggling to remove the smears. Seeing as the underlying ceramic coating was only applied at the end of December I really don't want to resort to polishing. 

I thought about trying some panel wipe over the weekend as that's literally the last thing I haven't tried.

Sorry to hear that. But all is not lost. Boost is not a permanent product. Noting wrong with doing a strip wash and/or fine grade clay to remove any leftovers. Neither should adversely affect the costing and will allow you to start clean.