Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Kit v. SiO2 infusion

TR6speed

Question

I am planning to order the Ceramic kit of the Surface Prep, Ceramic Coating, and Ceramic Boost.  However I see that there are two categories under the Ceramic section.  I believe the kit was the product that Adam did a video on about daily drivers.   He said he like to keep his daily driver about 85% perfect as compared to show ready, so is this a full ceramic coating process, where the SiO2  infusion is a ceramic wax?  I have heard or read some horror stories about applying a real ceramic coating and not have it come out smooth and clear, yet in Adams video it appeared straight forward.  I think it even said that the polish did not need to be removed before applying the Surface Prep.  Final question, is Adam used the One Step Polish, while I have the correction and finishing polish.  Is the one step better to use then jus the finishing polish?

5 answers to this question

The kit had all you need to do a full coating. The silica-infused section contains maintenance products, or even standalone without a coating (e.g. Ceramic Boost, Ceramic Waterless, Ceramic Paste Wax). 

Adam's coatings are designed to be applied by everyday users, but it's still a process and prep is everything. Paint correction should be done to the level you feel comfortable as you'll lock in any remaining swirls, scratches, etc. And yes, polish residue will be removed by using the Surface Prep because it's an isopropyl alcohol based product.

The One Step is a great polish, but as with any all in one, in my opinion it's not necessarily better than a dedicated polish like Correcting or Finishing. Still, you should be able to get the paint to look great with it if that's your preference....I used it and loved the results.

Hi Jack,

I suspect we'll get some members with more experience with the products than I have.  However, I can tell you how I categorize the polishing products, based on the rule that you always use the least aggressive method possible.  It is also important to keep in mind that the entire vehicle does not always require the same level of polishing or correcting.  I have found rather often that the hood, roof and above the door handles needs a different level than below the door handles on daily drivers.   Garage queens generally need the least amount of correcting, unless they have been improperly washed for a while or the person thinks they are helping their car by using a automation car wash.

1. Revive Hand Polish: If the there are very minimal marks and the you are looking for depth with shine, Revive will do a great job - love the product.

- Blue applicator preferred, Orange can be used if it needs a bit more work

2. Finishing Polish: When you need a little more than Revive or had use Correcting Polish

3. One Step Polish: When you a bit more than Finishing Polish, but don't need Correcting + Finishing Polish

4. Correcting Polish: When the marring is bad enough and your test spots with Revive, Finishing, One Step didn't produce the correction needed

5. Heavy Correcting Compound:  Last Resort before wet sanding or repaint, when the vehicle is in bad shape and nothing else will do

Jack, the kit you are talking about is a true ceramic coating kit. ( I think that was on the new ceramic spray coating video) But as long as you read the directions and do the proper prep steps, it will look great. Make sure you have the time to dedicate to the job, work in small sections and you will be very pleased.

I don’t think any of the polishes are “better” than others, but I agree with @RayS and @falcaineer it will depend on the condition of your paint and what you will be satisfied with. My preference is correcting polish, finishing polish and revive hand polish. I haven’t used one step yet though. So I may love it. Surface prep is meant to remove any polishing residue or leftover waxes or anything left on the paint. So adam is showing people that it’s posible to save time by skipping that step. I personally like to wipe the polish off first and see my polishing results to see if I need to give it another pass. Then once I feel like I’m happy with the paint. Then I’ll use surface prep to make sure nothings left on the paint before my ceramic coating.

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Jack, the kit you are talking about is a true ceramic coating kit. ( I think that was on the new ceramic spray coating video) But as long as you read the directions and do the proper prep steps, it will look great. Make sure you have the time to dedicate to the job, work in small sections and you will be very pleased.

I don’t think any of the polishes are “better” than others, but I agree with @RayS and @falcaineer it will depend on the condition of your paint and what you will be satisfied with. My preference is correcting polish, finishing polish and revive hand polish. I haven’t used one step yet though. So I may love it. Surface prep is meant to remove any polishing residue or leftover waxes or anything left on the paint. So adam is showing people that it’s posible to save time by skipping that step. I personally like to wipe the polish off first and see my polishing results to see if I need to give it another pass. Then once I feel like I’m happy with the paint. Then I’ll use surface prep to make sure nothings left on the paint before my ceramic coating.

Thanks for the reply and I can't remember if I saw Adams doing the process on a Facebook post or and email.  I know it was not on the Adams site.  I just remember him saying that he uses this on his daily driver that in his opinion he keeps at around 85% perfect.  I also thought that the One Step Polish was most likely a product that would fall in between the Correction Polish and the Finishing Polish.  What I was wondering, is his 85% statement, as every person I know that has had a ceramic coating applied or a few professional detailers I know always say that the real cost of the process is the prep and paint correction.  I guess that is because once the coating is applied it is not as easy to remove as wax is if you decide you want the paint finish at 100%.

Is that same video available in the video library?