Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to Care for your Microfiber Towels

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If I don't dry them in the dryer ,they seem to be stiff & ruff :(

I don't have this issue at all. I never dry them. Drying just reduces their life span IMO.

I just use the free and clear detergent but I also soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with Dawn Dish Soap over night with HOT water.

Era soap ! I will try to cut down on the soap !

Yep, when it comes to cleaning any type of cloth, 1X is good, 2X is usually very bad. Experts who clean carpet will tell you the exact same thing. If you don't get all the soap out, not only is the fabric still dirty, but it will attract more dirt faster.

If I don't have a light detergent or a washing machine can I soak the towels in a cleaning bucket with some APC? I was going to do cold water, fill up my Adam's bucket about 2/3, and use about 2 cap fulls of APC.

If I don't have a light detergent or a washing machine can I soak the towels in a cleaning bucket with some APC? I was going to do cold water, fill up my Adam's bucket about 2/3, and use about 2 cap fulls of APC.

USE WOOLITE.

It is made for fine clothing that needs to be washed by hand. It is also made for use in cold water. Look at their website and see what it says to use for delicate fabrics.

Does everyone wash their microfiber as soon as they are done whether it used for drying after a wash,detail spray job or a wax job? I was wondering if it would be ok to just rinse the towel out with warm water wring it out and wait a few days until a got a bunch more to wash all at once.Hate to waste the microfiber wash i have.

Immediately after washing, I store my microfiber towels and cleaning pads in 1 gallon Zip-lock baggies. I have had trouble in the past with these expensive towel getting dusty while stored in my garage. This solves that issue.

Edited by crawfish

I only wash mine when necessary, which is not that often since I only use them to wipe off polish and wax.

I am constantly wiping down the vehicle with detail spray or waterless car wash in between washes and the towels I use tend to get pretty dirty. If you only use your microfibers for polish and wax...what do you use for the quick Detail Spray wipe down?

I am constantly wiping down the vehicle with detail spray or waterless car wash in between washes and the towels I use tend to get pretty dirty. If you only use your microfibers for polish and wax...what do you use for the quick Detail Spray wipe down?

I use the towels made for the waterless wash. The plush towels just soak up the waterless wash and detail spray. The towels made for the waterless products dry a lot faster when they get wet with product.

So your using the WCW towels for DS too? I just bought 150$ in stuff at the goodguys show but bought the reg plush towelsand dident even think to grab a few waffle weave towels:slap:

Yes.

I will have to remember this. I too have been using the blue plush towels for the DS. Looks like I'll need to order some more WCW towels!!