Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass coating and Adaptive Cruise Control

Laid GP

Question

Recently I costed my windshield using the glass coating wipes. Ever since then my adaptive cruise control and auto high beams no longer work. I am curious if anyone else has seen a similar issue? 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. 

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Laid GP said:

Recently I costed my windshield using the glass coating wipes. Ever since then my adaptive cruise control and auto high beams no longer work. I am curious if anyone else has seen a similar issue? 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. 

We install windshield coatings and have never had an issue. That being said, it’s not Adam’s we use.

Those features should rely on optical clarity so as long as everything is buffed correctly it shouldn’t be a factor. The timing sounds strange though. 

You could try a glass polish and try to take it off that area and see if it restores functionality. 

I used Adam’s Glass Coating on my car and it didn’t affect my adaptive cruise or auto high beams at all. That said, Adaptive Cruise Control is radar based, so optical distortion doesn’t really come into play. The radar sensors can be blocked, but they aren’t in the windshield. The Auto High Beams are based on a camera, but like Shane said, it the area in front of the camera is clear, there isn’t a problem with the coating.

The weird thing is that the Adaptive Cruise works, it just defaults to off which they did not do before.

We did have a severe storm with high winds over that same date, but nothing on the vehicle was damaged and I’ve verified the alignment of the radar sensor. So at this point I think the timing is just coincidental and the failure is somewhere else.

I would agree with others in that unless there was haze that was not fully removed from the Glass Coating Wipes, they will not impact functionality of any cameras. If you have any white Finishing Polish or Brilliant Glaze, put a drop on a plush microfiber towel and wipe back over that specific area, to make sure there are no high-spots from the coating.

I would also check any wiring connections inside of the front bumper, especially if there were high winds and rain. A piece of tire flew up from a truck in front of me and hit one of the parking sensors dead-on in the front bumper of my car - it didn't come unplugged, but it did bump the whole housing loose, so it was constantly beeping like I was going to have a collision until I pulled off the road a 1/4 mile later and snapped the sensor back into place (luckily nothing broke). 

Maybe check the adaptive cruise settings and auto high beam settings in the vehicle settings - perhaps something accidentally reset to a default configuration?

1 hour ago, Dan@Adams said:

I would agree with others in that unless there was haze that was not fully removed from the Glass Coating Wipes, they will not impact functionality of any cameras. If you have any white Finishing Polish or Brilliant Glaze, put a drop on a plush microfiber towel and wipe back over that specific area, to make sure there are no high-spots from the coating.

I would also check any wiring connections inside of the front bumper, especially if there were high winds and rain. A piece of tire flew up from a truck in front of me and hit one of the parking sensors dead-on in the front bumper of my car - it didn't come unplugged, but it did bump the whole housing loose, so it was constantly beeping like I was going to have a collision until I pulled off the road a 1/4 mile later and snapped the sensor back into place (luckily nothing broke). 

Maybe check the adaptive cruise settings and auto high beam settings in the vehicle settings - perhaps something accidentally reset to a default configuration?

The settings are all as they should be. I toggled  everything off and back on. I will check the connection on the radar emitter, already checked the one for the camera and it seems to be fine. Who knows. It’s more of an annoyance than anything, just don’t want to have to deal with the crappy dealership here to get it looked at so I wanted to exhaust all possibilities before it came to that.