Customer Service 866.965.0400

Comparing 2 Regimens from Protection Standpoint

Islander

Question

Hi All,

New to Adam's and detailing...and just want to get some opinions as to whether the following two regimens would produce about the same level of protection from UV Rays and humid salt air, or if one is stronger than the other :

1)  Buttery Wax once a month and Spray Wax as a topper/drying aid after weekly washing

2)  LPS every 6 months and G&G every 3rd or 4th weekly wash

Obviously the LPS is less work...but purely from a protection perspective (in my case sun, humidity) will these provide about the same protection?

I realize many factors involved...and just as background:

- i am retired and live in the Caribbean on an small island...sunny and humid most days...75F-90F year round...not much rain

- 2 Daily Drivers...that live outdoors 7x24

- Red 4Runner (newly painted), New Granite Crystal Metallic painted Ram 1500

-Low mileage...maybe  60miles per week per vehicle all at speeds less than 50mph

-live about 1/2 mile from ocean, hot sun 90% of days...lots of sand and dust and salty air....everything rusts very easuly

-got lots of free time and I do enjoy washing and waxing.....time spent is not an issue for me

-I love the deep rich look of wax but protection is more important for me

- i have about a two hour window really early in the morning or before sunset for my outdoor washing when the sun is not full on...but usually do it early like 7-10am at the latest

Really just trying to figure out if the advantage of LPS over waxing is just that it lasts longer and is less work...or is it really stronger protection from the elements where I live?

Was thinking of trying both aporoaches, one with each vehicle, but thought I'd see what you guys think...

The ceramic route seems like the best protection...but I think will be the hardest for me to implement and maintain given that its pretty hard to find shade for more than a couple hours at a time. Here its either full on sun...or its raining..rare to get a dry overcast day...enclosed garages are also rare here...not sure why lol...no real detailing shop or pro ceramic services

Any thoughts appreciated...and sorry for the long post

Edited by Islander

8 answers to this question

I would apply it early in the morning before the sun comes up or late in the evening when the sun goes down. Protection should never be applied in direct sun. I don't care if it's made to do it or not. It's so much easier in the shade.

I see you went Ceramic Graphene Spray wax which should work out very well for you. It would work much better if you do a proper wash, clay bar , Iron remover and then a full paint correction as needed. Once the paint if fully prepped , the protection layer will work it's best.

Good advice!...yeah i always try to avoud the sun.. a bit hard for me...but really early in the morning i can usually get away with it..even if i am getting some "soft" early morning sun

Edited by Islander

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I would apply it early in the morning before the sun comes up or late in the evening when the sun goes down. Protection should never be applied in direct sun. I don't care if it's made to do it or not. It's so much easier in the shade.

I see you went Ceramic Graphene Spray wax which should work out very well for you. It would work much better if you do a proper wash, clay bar , Iron remover and then a full paint correction as needed. Once the paint if fully prepped , the protection layer will work it's best.

I agree with this, and given the Original post conditions; I might recommend you try doing all that prep the night before. So that you can wake up and quickly do the Graphene spray in early morning. 

@IslanderI use the 2nd method on my cars and that works great in Florida.  I try do the LSP in the cooler months, then use H2O G&G as part of my Rinseless Wash.

• Wash panel
  • Spray with G&G (I switched to a Tolco sprayer to allow for more adjustment to the pattern)
  • Spread/level with damp towel (only used for G&G )
  • Wipe dry
  • Done!

Thanks @mc2hill good to know that the LPS / G&G works well for you because Florida conditions would be close to what I am in

Still waxing right now...but gonna experiment with either LPS/GG...or maybe try the Graphene ceramic spray

Thanks for yoyr feedback

Edited by Islander