Customer Service 866.965.0400

Well, I'm kinda bummed...

El Immigrante

Question

Took the Porter Cable with orange pad and machine swirl/haze then followed up with machine polish and was unable to get rid of the swirls in my paint. I have a new Alpine White BMW and tried 3 different times in 3 different sections of the hood but no matter what I did, the swirls would not come out.:(

I followed Adam's vid to the tee and saw no improvement. I'm not a novice but also not an expert but could not improve the outcome.

Hi Montalvo,

So you have some tough swirls. That is great you are following the instructions on the video. I would love to see some pics of your problem areas. With the pc feel free to turn up the speed and add pressure once you feel comfortable with the machine. You can do a lot more correcting with higher speed and pressure. Don't be afraid to go over the problem areas several times. I am very surprised that you saw no improvement. I know its a little drive, but perhaps you could swing down to the warehouse in Torrance so we could have a look at it. If you can make it I will work on the swirls with you.:thumbsup:

Steve

Hi Montalvo,

So you have some tough swirls. That is great you are following the instructions on the video. I would love to see some pics of your problem areas. With the pc feel free to turn up the speed and add pressure once you feel comfortable with the machine. You can do a lot more correcting with higher speed and pressure. Don't be afraid to go over the problem areas several times. I am very surprised that you saw no improvement. I know its a little drive, but perhaps you could swing down to the warehouse in Torrance so we could have a look at it. If you can make it I will work on the swirls with you.:thumbsup:

Steve

That would be AWESOME!

What days and times are you there? :thumbsup:

I don't want to thread jack but since we are on the topic does any one know about Pontiac paint hardness. I tested on my hood this weekend and results were slow. I wasn't using Adams (im sold but full of other product at the moment).

Took the Porter Cable with orange pad and machine swirl/haze then followed up with machine polish and was unable to get rid of the swirls in my paint. I have a new Alpine White BMW and tried 3 different times in 3 different sections of the hood but no matter what I did, the swirls would not come out.:(

I followed Adam's vid to the tee and saw no improvement. I'm not a novice but also not an expert but could not improve the outcome.

Armando,

Call me, Let's see if we can't improve your results. I'm busy with some shows coming up, but we'll find some time.

Bruce

I don't want to thread jack but since we are on the topic does any one know about Pontiac paint hardness. I tested on my hood this weekend and results were slow. I wasn't using Adams (im sold but full of other product at the moment).

Depends on what you were using - sounds like you just picked the wrong combo.

Thanks Steve, and I'm confident that we can get the swirls out as well. It's true, BMW clear is incredibly hard!

Still, how hard were you pressing on the PC, and at what speed was is set Montalvo?

Be sure to take a small area, maybe 20" square, and try the Orange Pad and Swirl Remover, at setting 6. Apply substantial pressure, and go sloooooow.

If you already did this, let's connect for a personal demo to get you fixed up.

Thanks Montalvo, and please contact me personally on my cell should you want some real time advice, while working on the car: Cell: 303-718-9480.

We'll get it right, I promise!

-Adam

Montalvo,

As I stated in the pm I sent you, there will be a detail clinic this Sat. from 9am till noon at the warehouse in Torrance. This is a special one because my long time friend and expert detailer with 17 years under his belt, Rob White will be hosting it along with the lovely Ashley Wilson- who you all know and love. This clinc is free and open to anyone. I encourage anyone who can make it to attend. Rob doesn't get out much on the weekends, so this is a rare opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business. This will be very educational and Rob will have your cars shinier than a disco ball.:pc:

The address is 2020 W. 166th St., Torrance, Ca. 90504

As some other people have said that with Adam's products you can for sure use setting 6 and plenty of pressure. It is true that SHR is a good product but you must take your time as its made to work slow and create awesome results. I did a full detail on my crew cab superduty and it took me 6 hours only of doing the SHR only but it didn't take them all out. I figure to take out all of them its going to take about 1 hour per panel which would be like 14 hours total :willy::pc::hi:

Sorry to hijack the thread.

When I was using the SHR with orange pad, setting of 5, some good pressure on the roof of my f-150, it dusted like crazy. Is this normal? I came out with some good results, just didn't know if dusting was normal for the SHR. I know it is for some other non-Adams products.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

When I was using the SHR with orange pad, setting of 5, some good pressure on the roof of my f-150, it dusted like crazy. Is this normal? I came out with some good results, just didn't know if dusting was normal for the SHR. I know it is for some other non-Adams products.

Not normal my friend! (Unless the pad had dried polish in it, or there was not Detail Spray used to prime the pad.)

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

There was DS on the pad for priming. There may have been some dried SHR on the pad, but it really started from the beginning and continued all the way through the roof.

One more question! Was the pad cleaned with APC and a rinsed thoroughly with water after it was used last?

Thanks Steve, and I'm confident that we can get the swirls out as well. It's true, BMW clear is incredibly hard!

Still, how hard were you pressing on the PC, and at what speed was is set Montalvo?

Be sure to take a small area, maybe 20" square, and try the Orange Pad and Swirl Remover, at setting 6. Apply substantial pressure, and go sloooooow.

If you already did this, let's connect for a personal demo to get you fixed up.

Thanks Montalvo, and please contact me personally on my cell should you want some real time advice, while working on the car: Cell: 303-718-9480.

We'll get it right, I promise!

-Adam

I didn't press hard at all and used setting 3.

I'll definitely be going out to the school on Saturday but not likely in the BMW because I'm having some mods done to it. I'll likely show up in the wife's Tahoe which is black and could use a major detail job so it will be a good opportunity to learn a few things.

I didn't press hard at all and used setting 3.

I'll definitely be going out to the school on Saturday but not likely in the BMW because I'm having some mods done to it. I'll likely show up in the wife's Tahoe which is black and could use a major detail job so it will be a good opportunity to learn a few things.

Perfect! You'll have a much better understanding of the system after that, and please report back with your progress at and/or after the show!

Thanks, :2thumbs:

Hey El, I did the same Danm thing... I watched his Gen I vids and then set off like an ignorant a$$ that I am... I had horrible results for this reason. I haven't had a chance to go back at it with 6000OPM but I soon will. Supposed to rain all weekend here...

My parents have 3 BMW's 2006 Graphite M5, 2008 335i vert in black and a 2008 X5 in white and they are harder than crap! I swear my dad could use a scrub brush to wash his and it would look as good as new.

You get what you pay for... THAT's for sure...

As for Pontiac clear hardness. Mine scratches by looking at it funny.

Edited by Chewy

Yes it was. I do this after every use, make sure it is thoroughly cleaned.

Right on Dan, thanks and I appreciate you getting back with your process! Let me know if the pad does that next time you use it, as that's not typical performance. We might possibly have a defective unit, and we'll get you a replacement sent out quick!

Thanks again:thumbsup:

My parents have 3 BMW's 2006 Graphite M5, 2008 335i vert in black and a 2008 X5 in white and they are harder than crap! I swear my dad could use a scrub brush to wash his and it would look as good as new.

With hard clear coats, you can run into clumping and dusting problems (Audi's an Infiniti's are really guilty of that)- but usually it's more because of environmental reasons than technique. For example, polishing outside, under the sun, on a hot roof will clump and dust far quicker than in a shaded, less humid environment.

Before somebody convinces themselves that their technique is bad in someway, always take a look at the environment first.

With hard clear coats, you can run into clumping and dusting problems (Audi's an Infiniti's are really guilty of that)- but usually it's more because of environmental reasons than technique. For example, polishing outside, under the sun, on a hot roof will clump and dust far quicker than in a shaded, less humid environment.

Before somebody convinces themselves that their technique is bad in someway, always take a look at the environment first.

The environment very well could have been my problem. My truck will not fit in our garage, or under my canopy. I was doing it in the morning sun. I will let you know if the dusting happens next time Adam.