Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes LHR usage

rrmccabe

Question

So I have a Rupes LHR Mark II.  Last weekend I did a full paint correction using some new Rupes microfiber pads. I think this is the 4th vehicle I have buffed with the exception of some spot work with bird etchings.

About 1/2 way through the pads were starting to slip off center and would not hold.  I could see some smearing on the velcro print on the back of the pad and they were warm.

At times I had the speed up to 4 and 5.   I really did not make long runs with about 90 seconds being the longest pass I would guess.

I am thinking I overheated the pads and toasted the backing plate.  I have a new backing plate on order and will see how that goes.  I have tried to research the subject and only thing I found was Dylan talking about the Mark II having more power than the first generation and to slow things down.

So it appears to me, with microfiber pads I need to keep the speed to 3 or less and clean with air to cool between passes.

Anyone with similar experiences?  A backing plate is almost $50 with shipping so I cant afford to be replacing backing plates.

Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

Sounds like the backing plate has lost its ability to hold on to the pad.  With an LHR MKII, staying around speed 4 to 4.5 is the sweet spot.  Also not cycling pads or overloading them with product will heat up the pad.  Microfiber pads do generate more heat. 

This might have reared is ugly head now because in the past I have only used smooth and waffle foam pads.

Does not appear there is much room for error when using microfiber so I am just going to have to keep that in mind.

Unfortunately this was an expensive endeavor because once you lose the packing plate ($50) and the pads don't hold, you ruin pads too. So trying to get this thing finished at the 3 setting so I could coat it, destroyed 4 or 5 NEW pads possibly. Will know more once the new backing plate gets here.

I trashed the backing plate on my MkII 15 after heating up a microfiber pad.  I was able to use it for a while until I finally got a new backing plate.  Another reason to switch to wool pads - they run much cooler, and correct better.

Yea my new backing plate fixed things.  I really don't think I was abusing it with heat but apparently so.  I think I would hesitate to loan this Rupes out because of that.  Need to pay attention when using Microfiber.  I might have to try wool. Any downside?   I have always used wool on rotary but never DA.