Customer Service 866.965.0400

Restoring Black Plastic Trim on 8yr-old Volvo

patrick_here

Question

I'm wondering what to use on the Black Plastic trim "Fender Flares"  (and other exterior plastic trim) on my 8-yr-old 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country.  The car has been generally well cared-for and the black plastic is still in reasonably good shape so I'd like to restore and protect it now as best as possible. I bought the car about three years ago.  

There's an Adam's Video demonstrating the use of "Tire and Rubber Cleaner",  "Surface Prep" and "Black Trim Restorer".  My questions are:

• Would it be overkill to do those three steps with this car (I do want to bring it back to original condition as nearly as possible)?
  • Whatever I use to restore it, what should I use to protect it so that it would be protected for about a year?

The car is garaged most of the time and isn't exposed to the weather very much at all here in Washington State.  Thanks in advance.  

Patrick

PXL_20240524_154636055.jpg

7 answers to this question

No, that's not pverkill. The better prep you do, the better results you'll get. Some caveats with the use of the restorer: multiple, light and even coats work better than one heavy one, and be sure that it is completely dry. Use a towel that you don't mind getting stained black to test and level it out. It may take hours or days depending on environmental conditions and how much was applied. Top it with Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating Advanced once fully dry to lock it in for an extended time.

Welcome to the Forum.  The Trim Restorer is excellent and as @falcaineer stated, multiple thin coats work much better than one thick coat.   If you want to see the resuts from trim that was White, Grey and ugly to being a deep black, check out this thread of a yard find Mini Cooper from a few years ago.

https://www.adamsforums.com/topic/22023-what-did-you-wash-shine-and-or-polish-today/page/71/#comment-582273

After further consideration, and looking at another Adams video on the subject, I'm wondering...

...the trim on this car seems to be really not badly deteriorated or oxidized.  It seems to me that if these "Fender Flares" look very black already after treating them with "Tire and Rubber Cleaner" then perhaps the "Black Trim Restorer" won't really be necessary, right?  If I understand correctly, the "Black Trim Restorer" is primarily used to apply a color coat to the surface ...right? 

I have not used Tire and Rubber Cleaner on trim, so I am unable to provide a reference a reference on longevity or mixing with Trim Restorer.  However, I have used both on their respective and both worked well.  I'll be interested in our outcome and feedback from others on their individual usage.

3 hours ago, patrick_here said:

After further consideration, and looking at another Adams video on the subject, I'm wondering...

...the trim on this car seems to be really not badly deteriorated or oxidized.  It seems to me that if these "Fender Flares" look very black already after treating them with "Tire and Rubber Cleaner" then perhaps the "Black Trim Restorer" won't really be necessary, right?  If I understand correctly, the "Black Trim Restorer" is primarily used to apply a color coat to the surface ...right? 

TRC will help ensure any oxidation or other dirt is removed, it certainly won't hurt. The Black Trim Restorer actually seeps into the pores of the plastic, not just on the surface.