Customer Service 866.965.0400

does polishing and S & H wear down clear coat?

IMADreamer

Question

This is a dumb question I'm sure but I've been contemplating getting the Adam's machine polishing kit with all the goodies to use with a PC and I got to thinking that doesn't polishing wear down the clear coat?

I have some very light swirls on my paint and it's enough to annoy me and make my friends think I'm crazy since the scratches bother me and they don't think they are noticeable. lol I'm just curious how many times can you actually remove swirls before you run out of clear coat?

I hope I'm wording that right and I hope that's not a really dumb question. lol

22 answers to this question

This is a dumb question I'm sure but I've been contemplating getting the Adam's machine polishing kit with all the goodies to use with a PC and I got to thinking that doesn't polishing wear down the clear coat?

I have some very light swirls on my paint and it's enough to annoy me and make my friends think I'm crazy since the scratches bother me and they don't think they are noticeable. lol I'm just curious how many times can you actually remove swirls before you run out of clear coat?

I hope I'm wording that right and I hope that's not a really dumb question. lol

Just depends on the car and the amount of clear you take off at a time wich is minumal. So as long as you own the car i think you will be fine.

No, I sell motorcycles, but I used to be a motorcycle mechanic.

Spend enough time on youtube and you can find a lot of info.[/quote

Got any good reccommendations on what to watch? There's a guy on there (can't remember his name) who has the best videos on detailing. Used to be a Marine. Do you know who I mean?

And what kind of bikes do you sell?

No, I sell motorcycles, but I used to be a motorcycle mechanic.

Spend enough time on youtube and you can find a lot of info.[/quote

Got any good reccommendations on what to watch? There's a guy on there (can't remember his name) who has the best videos on detailing. Used to be a Marine. Do you know who I mean?

And what kind of bikes do you sell?

Um...that sounds like Junkman

There are plenty of other detailing videos, autogeek has some too. Just have to keep looking.

I sell Yamaha's and Kawasaki bikes new..of course we get all kinds of used ones in.

Um...that sounds like Junkman

There are plenty of other detailing videos, autogeek has some too. Just have to keep looking.

I sell Yamaha's and Kawasaki bikes new..of course we get all kinds of used ones in.

I might be in the market for a bike, do you have a link ?

I used to have a Yamaha. Sold it about 10 years ago. Great bikes. Saw enough of them this past weekend. And Harley's. And Star. And Kawasaki. And Triumph. And Victory. It's finally quiet around here again...............till next year.

Do you work for Metro?

Edited by Rich

Okay folks, here's the deal. The amount of clear coat that you remove with a PC-7424 and Adam's products is EXTREMELY minimal. That's why you have to repeat the process multiple times in order to get rid of some of the more persistent swirls. A PC, orange pad and Adam's SHR is not going to go through your clear coat fast by no stretch of the imagination.

Let's get technical. Paint thickness is measured in microns. A good paint thickness gage will give you readings in microns (the cheap gages only measure in millimeters). It takes 1000 microns to equal 1 millimeter (or MILS). The following is by no means and exact situation for any given car out there, just an example.

Suppose your car has 3 MILS of paint on it and 1 MIL of clear coat. If using SHR during 1 pass across your entire car only removes 2 microns of clear coat, that means that you would have to buff your entire car 500 times in order to get to the paint. In reality, you will probably be using SHR 3-4 times a year unless it is a daily driver that you keep washing and drying incorrectly. Follow that up with FMP, which may only remove .5 microns of clear, and you would need 2000 polishes with FMP to get to the paint. Again, this is in our given example.

What I'm trying to say here folks is that Adam's products are safe enough for a kid to use and unless you are using a rotary polisher of some sort, you don't have a lot to worry about. SHR ain't going to eat your clear off the car anytime soon. If your car has been painted, then you have way more paint and clear coat than a factory paint job so you really have nothing to worry about.

These products and the PC are so safe, I'd let a 8 year old use them on my car. ;)

angelin_buffer.jpg

Okay folks, here's the deal. The amount of clear coat that you remove with a PC-7424 and Adam's products is EXTREMELY minimal. That's why you have to repeat the process multiple times in order to get rid of some of the more persistent swirls. A PC, orange pad and Adam's SHR is not going to go through your clear coat fast by no stretch of the imagination.

Let's get technical. Paint thickness is measured in microns. A good paint thickness gage will give you readings in microns (the cheap gages only measure in millimeters). It takes 1000 microns to equal 1 millimeter (or MILS). The following is by no means and exact situation for any given car out there, just an example.

Suppose your car has 3 MILS of paint on it and 1 MIL of clear coat. If using SHR during 1 pass across your entire car only removes 2 microns of clear coat, that means that you would have to buff your entire car 500 times in order to get to the paint. In reality, you will probably be using SHR 3-4 times a year unless it is a daily driver that you keep washing and drying incorrectly. Follow that up with FMP, which may only remove .5 microns of clear, and you would need 2000 polishes with FMP to get to the paint. Again, this is in our given example.

What I'm trying to say here folks is that Adam's products are safe enough for a kid to use and unless you are using a rotary polisher of some sort, you don't have a lot to worry about. SHR ain't going to eat your clear off the car anytime soon. If your car has been painted, then you have way more paint and clear coat than a factory paint job so you really have nothing to worry about.

These products and the PC are so safe, I'd let a 8 year old use them on my car. ;)

Nice response! I'm sure you put a lot of people's fear of polishing to bed with that :2thumbs: There should be no fear factor in detailing!!

unless the car is really really really really dirty like the camaro I have booked for this coming weekend.... then a healthy dose of fear is probably necessary.

this ones gonna definitely be a double rubber glove job...

Double rubber eh? :lolsmack: