Customer Service 866.965.0400

enclosed trailer polishing

killr68

Question

i have a guy that wants his enclosed trailer polished. its black and in dire need of SHR and polish. my question is, will the screw heads on the side of the trailer tear up the pads and will the SHR/polish take the cadium plating off the screw heads ? he said he had heard that happened before. anyone ever do this ? THANKS

They will damage your pads but I highly doubt you would ever cause actual damage to them (the screw heads) with SHR + orange pad, it is just such a mild abrasive. But, I would just avoid them and hit in between by hand if need be.

I feel for you, my dad has a 20'x8' covered trailer and I would hate to have to do anything with it. After about 48hrs I might get one pass on every panel. lol

Was his custom painted or is it the standard factory paint?

I've actually seen the process of how they put the paint on the aluminum which is done at the aluminum plants and it's VERY thin... Just keep that in mind.

Chris

I have to do my white trailer because of all the black streaks. I have tried everything I can find in liquid form even Black Streak Remover that doesn't take everything off. I don't look forward to doing an 18' trailer this way. The screw heads are supposed to be stainless steel but I know they will play hell with the pad. I have done the front of the trailer which is smooth. It sure looked nice after doing it. If anyone comes up with a short cut for doing this monster I am all ears. I will just do fmp since I don't care how perfect it looks, I just want it cleaner.

If it is like our trailer then there is 20+ screws per panel joint and many joints on each wall. It would take a looong time to remove them.

Are the screw heads on your trailer rounded or do they have a sharp edge? If they are rounded then they may not be that bad on your pad, but I would still try to avoid them as much as possible. I doubt tape would do any good unless they do have a sharp edge on their side, but again with the number of screws that would take forever,

After looking at mine today I think Im going to do each panel as much as I can with the 7.5 pads, then use the 4" pads to do the rest.

with the 4" pads, is there an adapter to go on the porter cable or do they only fit on a cordless screw gun ?

if they do go on a PC, then ill hit all the big areas with the 7.5" pads and the 4'' for in between the screw heads..........

and yes that is a huge trailer. even bigger when standing next to it..........

wish me luck !!!

and thanks everyone....:2thumbs:

with the 4" pads, is there an adapter to go on the porter cable or do they only fit on a cordless screw gun ?

if they do go on a PC, then ill hit all the big areas with the 7.5" pads and the 4'' for in between the screw heads..........

and yes that is a huge trailer. even bigger when standing next to it..........

wish me luck !!!

and thanks everyone....:2thumbs:

The 4inch pads does have an adapter for the pc

Jeff , when you get through with that one , you should be in good practice and are cordially invited to come over and do my 53' trailer, (black ) . smooth side , NO rivets . No in bad condition , should be able to do in one afternoon . :lol:

i have a guy that wants his enclosed trailer polished. its black and in dire need of SHR and polish. my question is, will the screw heads on the side of the trailer tear up the pads and will the SHR/polish take the cadium plating off the screw heads ? he said he had heard that happened before. anyone ever do this ? THANKS

I have a 24' enclosed trailer for my 36 Ford and it gets black steaks also. The streaks are from the raw aluminum roof. Once a year I use the old gen 1 pads with Revive to buff the trailer. It works great for me. I have no trouble with screw heads. Kind of buff around them. They are stainless and it acctually shines the screw heads with what little they buff they get.

I have a 24' enclosed trailer for my 36 Ford and it gets black steaks also. The streaks are from the raw aluminum roof. Once a year I use the old gen 1 pads with Revive to buff the trailer. It works great for me. I have no trouble with screw heads. Kind of buff around them. They are stainless and it acctually shines the screw heads with what little they buff they get.

BTW three months ago I put a white etching paint on the roof (found it at a camper dealer) and I have not had anymore black streaks.

Jeff , when you get through with that one , you should be in good practice and are cordially invited to come over and do my 53' trailer, (black ) . smooth side , NO rivets . No in bad condition , should be able to do in one afternoon . :lol:

Mike, if you were closer i MAY think about it.....ill take some pics when i start it next week....smooth side would be a breeze !!:D

Ouch... Just keep in mind that the paint is isn't overly thick so don't go nuts on it.

Hope it's cooler in Kingston than here... Up against a black trailer will be HOT!

Supposed to be nice this weekend...

Good luck!

Ouch... Just keep in mind that the paint is isn't overly thick so don't go nuts on it.

Hope it's cooler in Kingston than here... Up against a black trailer will be HOT!

Supposed to be nice this weekend...

Good luck!

:iagree: