Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing road paint

mc2hill

Question

What is the best thing to use to remove dried road paint from the wheel wells? I tried applying Mineral Spirits with a blue shop towel, and scraping with my fingernail and a plastic putty knife (fingernail worked best). This worked ok, but I was wondering if there a better method, or if I should try a harsher chemical?

Thanks, Mike.

11 answers to this question

I've seen this covered before but I can't remember where. I'll look over at DigitalCorvettes. It might have been there. But I would try clay with GWC as a lube. You don't want to use anything too harsh that will dry out the plastic. But I am sure someone has an answer :2thumbs:

Thanks Jim, I'll look for some of that.

How in the world did that happen?? :willy::willy: Doesn't line/road paint dry fast??

I have no idea, it's my wifes car!

I see road paint on alot of cars around here. I cant figure it out either, I have never gotten paint on any of my vehicles.

You just got to be at the wrong place at the right time and boom...they got you :lolsmack:

I finally got around to cleaning this up this weekend. Sears had a sale ($40 off) on a trolley jack that had enough lift to use on my truck, so I picked it up last Friday.

On Saturday morning I took of the wheel and put the new jack to work, put in a jack stand, and got to work. Using the 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner that Jim recommended, I sprayed the dried on paint (it looked like beige latex, not road paint) and went to work. The best method was to let the Cleaner sit for a minute, then scrape it with a plastic putty knife. It took about an hour to remove the paint from the entire wheel well, but after hitting it with some Undercarriage Spray, it looks great.

Sorry, no Before & After pictures. Once I got my head in the wheel well I didn't want to stop.

:iagree: With the 3M products, however I think you still will have to scrape some. I think I used WD 40 one time under fender wells, with alot of scraping.:2thumbs: