Customer Service 866.965.0400

Great looking finish but...

rb11701

Question

...so I polished up the wife's acura the other day. (2003 TL)

I did 2 passes with orange/SHR on speed 6 (PC XP), followed with 2 passes white/FMP at 5 then backed down to 3. Then a coat of SMW.

Now the finish looks like a mirror, but if I get the right angle up close and kinda look 'over' the hood I can see marks and very tiny pot marks. When I back away it looks flawless.

Did I need another pass with the orange/shr combo? I thought I was going kinda slow and the plate was spinning. I am rather new at machine polishing. Or do I need to get a more aggressive coumpound? I am assuming the marks where a tad deeper and not enough clear was removed. Or perhaps my technique needs to be refined.

Like I said, the finish looks very good, just being real particuliar on the DD's.

For a Menzerna comparison, FMP would be pretty close to106FF. SHR would give a little more cut than 203S, but not as much of a cut as SIP (so with the right pad, you can easily one-step an 80% correction with SHR).

As far as a 105/205 comparison, that's very hard to say since those polishes work completely different than Adam's stuff and the finish you achieve with them depends on pad selection and skill with a buffer.

I take it that Adam's polishes have diminishing abrasives?

For a Menzerna comparison, FMP would be pretty close to106FF. SHR would give a little more cut than 203S, but not as much of a cut as SIP (so with the right pad, you can easily one-step an 80% correction with SHR).

As far as a 105/205 comparison, that's very hard to say since those polishes work completely different than Adam's stuff and the finish you achieve with them depends on pad selection and skill with a buffer.

Is it possible to use FMP on a slightly less cut pad (say Blue as I think Black has no cut) to achieve final results to 85RD? I see people talking about 'jeweling' a finish with 85RD. I have to imagine that all this extra step is using a lightly cutting pad with a finish polish to make the finish sparkle. Am I correct? And is step even needed on light colored cars? I stopped after FMP/White and after some SMW it looks great. Would I be 'wowed' to a point that my extra work would be worth it?

I keep some 105 around for small scratch removal. I use it on a MF or the 4" Adam's pads. As the abrasives are non-dminishing, it is easier for me to spot treat my DD's. I tried ScratchX 2.0, not really a strong enough prodct for my needs. SHR takes care of everything 2.0 did for me. The 105 is just less work, scratches go very quickly. I follow that w/ FMP and some cleaner wax for that area.

I like how SHR and FMP bridges the gap between products

... I like how SHR and FMP bridges the gap between products

...and BAM, there you go! I've used this and that trying to achieve the finish that I can obtain using what you just posted right there. If your car isn't some shade of black, blue or somewhere in between, you're pretty much wasting your time unless you spend hours just staring at your paint in a fluorescent lit room.

Adam's simple process which achieved the same or better results that I was getting when using other products is EXACTLY why I came onboard. People over-analyze the whole detailing process when they should be out driving their cars. I spend enough time in the garage, I want to drive my car. The Adam's process has enabled me to do a lot more of that.

SHR/Orange pad if necessary, FMP/white for the deep color enhancement and minimal scratch removal and top it of with your choice of wax. Be done with it and drive your car! :rockon:

Is it possible to use FMP on a slightly less cut pad (say Blue as I think Black has no cut) to achieve final results to 85RD? I see people talking about 'jeweling' a finish with 85RD. I have to imagine that all this extra step is using a lightly cutting pad with a finish polish to make the finish sparkle. Am I correct? And is step even needed on light colored cars? I stopped after FMP/White and after some SMW it looks great. Would I be 'wowed' to a point that my extra work would be worth it?

I keep some 105 around for small scratch removal. I use it on a MF or the 4" Adam's pads. As the abrasives are non-dminishing, it is easier for me to spot treat my DD's. I tried ScratchX 2.0, not really a strong enough prodct for my needs. SHR takes care of everything 2.0 did for me. The 105 is just less work, scratches go very quickly. I follow that w/ FMP and some cleaner wax for that area.

I like how SHR and FMP bridges the gap between products

It would be possible to use the FMP on a black pad (or a blue if you have one, both are no cut pads). I have never tried it but FMP on a white pad will leave you with a highly reflective finish. If you wanted to maybe see if you could get a bit more out of it I would use some revive by hand over the car.

... I have never tried it but FMP on a white pad will leave you with a highly reflective finish....

You have never tried FMP on a white pad? :confused:

Did you figure out how to get the micro scratches out of the black finish?

I guess I'll try FMP on the black pad and see what happens. I never seen a blue pad for sale.

The white pad/FMP combination is made exactly for that purpose. Adam's doesn't have a blue pad. Don't make it more complicated than it is by introducing elements that are not part of the process. That's why I use Adam's, simplicity. There isn't 20 pads to choose from which only complicates the process. Orange, white, black, you're done. SHR, FMP, wax of your choice, you're done.

Adam's uses the KISS system: Keep It Simple Stupid. It always worked in the military, I bet it works just as good for civilians. :2thumbs:

Edited by Junkman2008