Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing with "dish soap."

Memphis Senior

Question

I know this is a no, no.

I was on another forum where a young man asked about the proper way to wash/wax his truck.

This is a DD that I got the impression was regularly taken offroading.

Several people told him to clay the truck before waxing.

Then a few others suggested he wash the truck with "dish soap" to remove the old wax before claying.

I'm still new to all this and learning. So my question is. Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter. WHY? :confused:

23 answers to this question

You can use original formula Dawn to take off the old wax just don't use it often. But a better way is a 50/50 mix of IPA and distilled water. Wipe it down with that then clay and polish. New vehicles really need a good claying right off the truck :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Some people like to use Dawn dish soap to prep their car for a detail, as the degreasing agents in the soap will strip off any old wax and leave you with a clean surface to start claying with. The downside is the Dawn is bad for trim. Others will use a 50/50 mix of water and Iso Alcohol. Claying will also remove old wax, but the downside is if the car needs to be clayed, you'll probably have to do it twice - once to remove the wax, and then again to remove the contaminants that were trapped below the wax. A polish like Revive Polish will also remove wax, but, like claying, it's already halfway into the detail process and you'll end up doing it twice, once to remove the wax and again after claying/correcting to enhance the depth of your paint.

Out of these, I'd recommend using Dawn or the water/alc mix, since washing is the first step anyway you won't be using up extra product or extra time. Just be careful of the plastic trim (tape it off with painters tape if you want to), do it in the shade. After a wash with Dawn I'd come behind that with a wash with Adam's soap just in case any Dawn has dried on the car. After that you should have a very clean surface to do any claying, paint correcting, or waxing that you'd like

Dawn is an alkaline solution (lubricity isn't the issue), so washing with it is generally a bad idea. If you do decide to use it just be sure to follow up with Adam's Car Wash, as it will help neutralize the alkaline solution and reduce the risk of long term damage to your paint work and trim. Adam's APC in the foam gun would be the fastest and safest way to remove any wax or sealant on your finish. The alcohol wipe down would work too...but only on a car that's already clean...which means you'd have already washed it...which means you just created the twice the work for yourself.

I beleive IPA stands for Isopropyl Alcohol?

Oh good, not India Pale Ale then... didn't think beer would work very well :D

I've never done this before, or used it after polishing, another bit of education under the belt!

Oh good, not India Pale Ale then... didn't think beer would work very well :D

I've never done this before, or used it after polishing, another bit of education under the belt!

The beer goes inside the detailer :2thumbs::2thumbs:

When I am getting ready the detail a car and I want to remove all of the old wax/sealant/road grime/etc., instead of Dawn, I will use a strong concentration of a citrus wash which is just a pure wash, it has no conditioners or anything in it so all you have is a really clean surface to start claying. There are a few companies which made such a wash.

When I am getting ready the detail a car and I want to remove all of the old wax/sealant/road grime/etc., instead of Dawn, I will use a strong concentration of a citrus wash which is just a pure wash, it has no conditioners or anything in it so all you have is a really clean surface to start claying. There are a few companies which made such a wash.

how does it work on cars that are parked under tree's for long periods ??

how does it work on cars that are parked under tree's for long periods ??

It would do a so-so job on sap that has baked into the paint but that would probably require a strong concentration of APC or maybe even a degreaser or claying.