Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waxing over fresh pinstriping?

BrandonL

Question

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted; been gone on a family vacation :) . While I was away, my wife and I hit up a car show in Sacramento called Midnight Mass. It was a sweet show with all kinds of old style hot rods and pinstriping. While we were there we got a great deal on having the tail gate of my wife's Avalanche pinstriped. It turned out great but the artist wasn't sure about how to wax over it. He said spray on wax only but I'd really like to use something with a little more shine. I typically use APW and it makes the truck look perfect. Anyone have any experience with this? He didn't do anything out of the norm, just 1 Shot applied with a Mack 00 over the truck's existing clear coat. I'll post some pics of it when I get home from work :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

18 answers to this question

Brandon,

Tracy and I have had lots of striping over the years. Basically make sure it cures at least a few weeks, then wax gently. If they are stripes, go with the stripes as much as possible, if it's a design just be careful. I avoid the areas, or use lots less pressure when using the PC. Hand is best.

Hopefully he removed all you carefully applied wax first, and used One Shot Lettering Enamel.

Post up some pics!

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

Thanks for the reply Bruce, I kind of assumed that it wouldn't be too complicated but I just wanted to make sure. It is a design so it will be a little more difficult but shouldn't be bad. I totally forgot that your Elky was striped, I should have asked you first :)

Pics to come shortly :D

Outside of waiting a while to let the paint fully cure I don't see a problem with waxing over it, its just paint.

Well, yeah, it's paint, but lots goes along with that. Striping doesn't typically get the same prep work as the paint underneath, doesn't harden like a two stage paint, and is sitting on top of the cars paint so it is a high point on the surface. That make it susceptible to being rubbed off or scratched.

Wax with the stripe when possible, not across it, and I avoid using the PC over the striped areas, just go in by hand.

Bruce

You're right, I was just talking about hand application of wax :) . I was just wondering if there may be anything about the wax that could effect the pinstriping in a negative way. I just wasn't sure since it's a single stage above the truck's clear coat :)

Thanks for your input!

I don't know, my car is pinstriped, and I have had no problems buffing or waxing over the top of the striping. I called and talked to Adam about buffing with the PC and he said I should have no problems.

Wow, they went all out. Looks good Brandon, lots of color & detail. I think the truck needs more striping on the sides to kind of tie it in though. Something to think about. I have a good striper in the Valley if you need him.

Bruce

Thanks for the suggestion, Bruce. I'll think about that. This was kind of a spur of the moment thing so I haven't really thought about the next step but I wouldn't be against having someone else pull some lines on it :)