Customer Service 866.965.0400

Winter Car Storage ....

Chris@Adams

After detailing and a fresh coat of wax don't forget to add some Sta-Bil to your full tank of gas.:burnout: And hook up your Battery Tender!

How often should a stored car be started and how long to let it run?:confused:

I always start mine about once a month and let it run for a 1/2 hour! What do you think?

Nope. Not ever. Not till I'm ready to drive it in the spring. If you start it and let it run, you run the risk of getting moisture in your fuel lines. So I just let it sit and check the battery tender to make sure it 's working.

Nope. Not ever. Not till I'm ready to drive it in the spring. If you start it and let it run, you run the risk of getting moisture in your fuel lines. So I just let it sit and check the battery tender to make sure it 's working.

My garage is heated, you think that would make a differance with the moisture?:confused:

I don't have that problem Chris. No heat in my garage. There are mixed opinions on this subject and I've read them all. The majority agrees that it's best not to run your car while it's stored. And that's been my opinion too. But then again, I'm anal about the Vette. I put down a half inch thick rubber floor, and then put the car on tire cradles, cover it with a fleece blanket, then the car cover. I add the stabil and hook it to a battery tender and make sure the gas tank is full. Totally anal. If you find your car runs okay doing what you've been doing, then why change. It's just my opinion. :2thumbs:

That's my MO, too. I may move it in and out of the garage once or twice if I need some room in the garage for some projects, but I'm not going to sweat whether it does or does not get started... :2thumbs:

If you are going to start it take it out and run it. Don't just let it idle for a long time. My car will sit for 1-2 months at a time in the winter time but we usually have a pretty mild winter (temp/snow wise). I like to take it out and run it around for a while and make sure to get the interior nice and dry and put some fresh gas in it.

Chris, I agree about not starting it. I put my 32 on jack stands, take the tires off and store them under my workbench. I take the battery out of the car and store it downstairs for a more stable temperature, but that car doesn't have all the electronics that are in the new cars. I will be leaving the G8 in the garage over the winter now that I have a cheap winter car, but that is in my unheated side. I will probably get a battery tender for it, but I don't plan on starting it. I will put the sta-bil in a full tank. Of course I won't retire mine to the garage for the winter until the first salt hits the roads. We are supposed to have some sunshine this weekend and dry roads so I still get the cars out and run them to put the smile on my face.

Archived