Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rim Scratch?

airhog

Question

15 answers to this question

Wetsanding if you're up to it!

*on edit* I cannot be held responsible for any damage you do to your rim caused by improper wetsanding techniques or you going through your rims' clear. One other option is to have a mobile rim repair guy come out and fix it.

I had an issue with one of my wheels recently. It wasn't a scratch, but I went through a construction zone, and something black got sprayed over part of my car leaving these tiny black dots all over the front bumper and nice black strip on one of my wheels. It was only there for a day before I noticed it. I thought it was tar or something similar, but nothing I threw at it would take it off. I took it to a professional detailer, and he couldn't figure out how to get it off either and he wasn't sure what it was. He ended up taking my car to 3 different body shops, and he was told by all of them that it would need to be repainted. The detailer didn't like that response, so he tried what you think would be bad, but he let the car sit out in the sun, and he was able to use some of his products to remove the spots from the paint after it had warmed up. He was afraid to touch the wheel because he didn't want to mess it up. However, he has a guy that he uses to repair wheels. I wasn't there when he did it, but I heard it was pretty impressive. I don't know what he did, but the wheel looked as good as new when I got my car back. All that guy does is drive around to various places and repair wheels. I think the cost was about $75, which to me was well worth it to get that crap off the wheel. Much cheaper than buying a new wheel, which would have been several hundred dollars. Sorry for the long story, but just wanted to let you know I how I got the wheel fixed. I would see if you can find somebody that repairs wheels if it's really bothering you and you can't fix it yourself.

That looks pretty deep to me.

As you mentioned, your fingernail gets caught when going across.

What I would do is get a touch up paint kit. Look for your factory color code and get it on eBay vs the Stealership.

I would take that wheel off the car, clean it with a solvent such as wax and grease remover, then lay the wheel flat on a counter in the garage, then apply the fill in paint slowly (let gravity do its thing). Build up small layers at a time. I'd use a blow dryer to help dry it. I'd imagine that would take a good 3 separate applications to build up to the point where you could color sand it flat again.

After the 3 applications dry, start out with 1500 grit and wet sand. Move onto 2000 grit and then even 3000 grit if you can find it. I'm not sure to what effect Adam's S&HR removes sanding scratches. I always start off with 3M Perfect It II after color sanding, I then use SHR for my 2nd step.

Nonetheless, if you follow these steps, that paint should fill in the scratch and you should be able to even it out to the point where it isn't visible to the naked eye.

That's my suggestion

Archived