Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I remove a an old tank pad?

6spdg37s

Question

How do I remove an old tank pad ( probably the orginial one from 05) without damaging the paint to replace it with a new one. it sticks on with some sort of adhesive. the old one started peeling and seperatied which is why I need to replace it.

18 answers to this question

Thanks Ray. I wanted to go with something different. The left picture is about 800 feet above Fort Bragg NC and the right picture is of me about 70 feet above Hawaii. I took the picture on the left and I'm the one on the left is the rappelling photo. Thanks again.

Rob

I took my original one off with a hair dryer. I worked it from the bottom to the top. Once it started to separate I rolled in up onto it self until it was all off. Post some pictures when you can.

Rob

Hair dryer till warm and pull it off. Try to fold it back on itself so not to pull out on the paint to much. It should pull right off. A little 3M adhesive remover to remove the remnants and then clay the tank, and polish as needed.

I have never installed a tank pad on my bike. I make sure I stay off of the tank and that any jacket I have has a cover on the zipper.

I DO have the side tank grips to hold on to my legs when deep in a corner though.

Chris

And here I thought he had a pad on the side of his house for a Sherman Tank that he wanted removed:lol::lol:

I would have been happy to remove the tank for him.

A tank pad protects the gas tank on crotch-rockets, sport bikes, whatever you went to call them, from getting scratched by the rider or their clothes when they are hunched down on the tank. Most of the ones I have seen are a heavy duty vinyl that sticks to the tank. It is the same idea as a clear bra on a car.

How do I remove an old tank pad ( probably the orginial one from 05) without damaging the paint to replace it with a new one. it sticks on with some sort of adhesive. the old one started peeling and seperatied which is why I need to replace it.

I am sorry ,what is a tank pad? :help:

Archived