Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do I have a hard clearcoat?

wong600

Question

How do I know if I have a soft or hard clearcoat? Does this affect how I polish out swirls?

I drive a 08 Dodge Charger and have had limited success polishing out swirls.. I've been told I have to really lean into the porter cable.. is that because I have a "hard clearcoat?"

Thanks guys!

9 answers to this question

Dodges clear coats are not any harder than normal in my personal experience, and no... the angry gorilla approach to polishing doesn't net you better results. I'm local to you David... just a little ways away in Rancho Cucamonga... if you'd like to stop by my house this weekend I'd be more than happy to give you a little one on one tutorial (weather permitting of course) I'll just be working on the wifes car most of the day saturday so shoot me a pm if you're interested in coming by.

Dodges clear coats are not any harder than normal in my personal experience, and no... the angry gorilla approach to polishing doesn't net you better results. I'm local to you David... just a little ways away in Rancho Cucamonga... if you'd like to stop by my house this weekend I'd be more than happy to give you a little one on one tutorial (weather permitting of course) I'll just be working on the wifes car most of the day saturday so shoot me a pm if you're interested in coming by.

There you go David, your hooked up!:thumbsup: Post up some pics!:cheers:

Dylan why did the avalanche have to go back in? I hope it was nothing serious. Is it all good now?

Found some thin spots in the paint and a couple of blotchy areas under the clear... both likely the result of bad prep work and an inexperienced detailer using a rotary buffer + wool to buff near edges...

The thin spot looked like someone had burned the edge.

Took them 9 days and 2 repaints to get it semi-alright... I haven't had a break in the weather to do a closer inspection, but it seems they got it right this time.

Archived