Customer Service 866.965.0400

How hard to buff on a black vehicle

Brent44

Question

I'm doing my favorite clients black range rover Saturday and I really want to surprise him by getting all of the swirl marks out. After each service at the dealership they hand wash it for free so I think that is where the swirl marks are coming from. My question is how much should I buff to get rid of all scratches? I know black is tough to do so I don't want to burn through the clear coat, but I feel as if I'm gonna have to cut pretty heavy to get them out. I'm using a porter cable btw.

16 answers to this question

Hey I just finished my THIRD weekend of correcting my G8 and it's STILL not perfect nor was I going for perfection. It's a DD so it's going to get messed up. I was surprised how many deep scratches it hand in it. I ended up using the focus pads a lot to get them honed down some before correcting that damage with the PC. I found that way to be the best/fastest for me.

I still have a coat of Revive to put on it and then a couple coats of MSW. I'm hoping to have those done before next weekend but we'll see. :o

Having a ton of time is nice. Oh and a second vehicle to drive while it sits. :thumbsup:

Good job!

So any pics or do you have them in another thread I missed? I assume you tackled different parts each week?

Hey I just finished my THIRD weekend of correcting my G8 and it's STILL not perfect nor was I going for perfection. It's a DD so it's going to get messed up. I was surprised how many deep scratches it hand in it. I ended up using the focus pads a lot to get them honed down some before correcting that damage with the PC. I found that way to be the best/fastest for me.

I still have a coat of Revive to put on it and then a couple coats of MSW. I'm hoping to have those done before next weekend but we'll see. :o

Having a ton of time is nice. Oh and a second vehicle to drive while it sits. :thumbsup:

Good job!

showed it to him tonight. he didn't seem to interested. Oh well, what are you gonna do.

Driving a Range Rover and after the difference you showed him and he's not interested...What's wrong w/ that guy?

Well I can certainly appreciate it. That's a lot of hard work.

Give your buddy some time. I promise, almost every time he walks out to use the vehicle he'll look at his new finish. Don't say a word about it. Let HIM bring it up.

great job Brent :glasses::pc:

Nice job! Seems like wasted work if he's just going to take it back and let the dealership swirl it up again. Unless of course he wants to pay you to fix it each time, then by all means. :pc:

Let him drool over the good side, and then he can watch how fast it goes all swirly from the dealership's guys washing it.

?? Some people just dont get it. I think the corrected pictures look GREAT.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm glad there are people who can appreciate this.

Alright so I tried it today and decided it was way too much of a job to do for free. BUT I did do one side of the hood :). Man did it take long though. I did probably 3-4 passes with swirl and haze remover and the orange pad and one pass with thewhite pad and polish.

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

First off you'll never "burn through the clear coat" with a porter cable... it just doesn't have the ability to generate enough heat or cut to burn thru, the only way you'd polish thru a clear coat is if the paint has been sanded or rotary polished excessively to a point where its thin. So really, in this case you have no need for concern. Have you watched AJ's video on "can you damage your finish with the porter cable"??

Now black isn't anymore difficult to correct than any other color, the reality is that it just shows EVERYTHING so its less forgiving. Polish it like you would any other paint job, take your time, work a section to figure out what it will need to get to perfection and go from there. Its not like black is physically any different than any other color, plus Range Rovers are nice to work on b/c they have lots of large flat areas, not a lot of contours to worry about so paint correction is usually a lot quicker IMO.

Just approach it like any other correction... I'm sure you'll do fine :thumbsup:

It's been a while since I've watched them so I may re-visit them. I don't know where I heard black is easier to burn :confused:. Thanks for the advice

First off you'll never "burn through the clear coat" with a porter cable... it just doesn't have the ability to generate enough heat or cut to burn thru, the only way you'd polish thru a clear coat is if the paint has been sanded or rotary polished excessively to a point where its thin. So really, in this case you have no need for concern. Have you watched AJ's video on "can you damage your finish with the porter cable"??

Now black isn't anymore difficult to correct than any other color, the reality is that it just shows EVERYTHING so its less forgiving. Polish it like you would any other paint job, take your time, work a section to figure out what it will need to get to perfection and go from there. Its not like black is physically any different than any other color, plus Range Rovers are nice to work on b/c they have lots of large flat areas, not a lot of contours to worry about so paint correction is usually a lot quicker IMO.

Just approach it like any other correction... I'm sure you'll do fine :thumbsup:

:iagree:

I can't hardly believe black and swirls!:lolsmack::lolsmack:

I'm doing my favorite clients black range rover Saturday and I really want to surprise him by getting all of the swirl marks out. After each service at the dealership they hand wash it for free so I think that is where the swirl marks are coming from. My question is how much should I buff to get rid of all scratches? I know black is tough to do so I don't want to burn through the clear coat, but I feel as if I'm gonna have to cut pretty heavy to get them out. I'm using a porter cable btw.

Archived