Customer Service 866.965.0400

Touchless Car Washes - The Good & The Bad (Videos)

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys & girls! Another "brutha' in his garage production" coming your way!

This time I talk about the pros and cons of touch-less car washes. A lot of people think that touch-less is always the answer but as I make clear in these videos, it is not always the best route to go. There is nothing wrong with the touchless car wash process itself, it is what is done after the wash that will make or break your paint job.

Let me make sure that everyone understands that in this video, my car was driven in a light downpour. For someone who drives in a normal or heavy downpour, your car will have a much tougher film of dirt on it, especially if you allow it to dry in the sun. This film is what will create those nasty swirls over time if you continually address them wrong.

With that said, let's get to the videos!

Video 1 - Touch-less Car Wash

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMLlRlI9Tc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMLlRlI9Tc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Video 2 - The Conclusion

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXROQ_PsL9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXROQ_PsL9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

The Junkman

:cheers:

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, black cherry has a pearl in the finish. You can still use Revive after FMP but I don't know if it is making enough of a difference for you to see. It's up to you as you're the only one who can see your paint.

Are you using a Porter-Cable or doing your work by hand?

got the porter coming-by hand right now.

i am a newbie-really

Okay, have you located my area (The Junkman's Corner)? You have a lot of videos to watch. Those videos are going to be your first step in fixing your paint and maintaining it. Get the guest cottage ready and I'll fly out and show you how it's done... if you can cook! :D

i can cook!:2thumbs:

I will be watchin videos alright. I have the water softener coming and polisher-right now I have water spots still :( This morning I tried washing a small area and drying right away(like size of your fist) and using detail spray-still have water spots. so I will wait for the polisher to arrive before I wash it again-I think the spots are etched in there or something.

Okay, have you located my area (The Junkman's Corner)? You have a lot of videos to watch. Those videos are going to be your first step in fixing your paint and maintaining it. Get the guest cottage ready and I'll fly out and show you how it's done... if you can cook! :D

Did you see the outcome in my videos on the waterless wash? You can do as you speak of but not if you are trying to have flawless paint. All you have to do is wipe down one panel using WW and a white towel after doing a touchless wash.. What you see on that towel will more than answer your question.

Yeah... DO NOT touch the paint till you can do a proper job on it.

I actually used three buckets last spring, two wash mitts and rinsed them as I went, as well as using the foam gun.

This year I plan to pre wash it with the pressure washer at one of the local places and then take it home and go at it with the hose.

Yea, what they said. During the winter I'll take the Charger and Ranger to a do it yourself place. After using the high pressure hose on them, you can see all the salt left behind. Which is why I take my 2 buckets with me. The touchless washes aren't much better. Almost the same thing as running your dirty hands under a faucet and expecting them to be cleaned.

:bow:Junkman once again dispels another myth. Another great video. Whatever you do, don't gussy it up like others are telling you. It's perfect. Your videos always prove a point and you're a great teacher. I think your videos are a hoot and I always take home a little tidbit of knowledge watching them.

So, what about doing a WW over your car now? Or do you think it is still too dirty?:help: OOPS...this has already been answered.:jester:

Yeah... DO NOT touch the paint till you can do a proper job on it.

I actually used three buckets last spring, two wash mitts and rinsed them as I went, as well as using the foam gun.

This year I plan to pre wash it with the pressure washer at one of the local places and then take it home and go at it with the hose.

What is even more amazing AJ is she watched it voluntarily and even walked into the room to get a closer look. Your woman magnetism even works over the internet! Wow you are amazing!!!

It was the train wreck syndrome. That what drew here in. She was like, "Who is this, the Keystone detailer?" :lol:

What is even more amazing AJ is she watched it voluntarily and even walked into the room to get a closer look. Your woman magnetism even works over the internet! Wow you are amazing!!!

No, black cherry has a pearl in the finish. You can still use Revive after FMP but I don't know if it is making enough of a difference for you to see. It's up to you as you're the only one who can see your paint.

Are you using a Porter-Cable or doing your work by hand?

I'm not sure yet; the specifics are being ironed out. Also, have you checked out this thread in my section? It explains the paint correction products in detail and order. It's not hard at all, and the pads/products are color coded!

You should check out all my stickies in The Junkman's Corner.

oh my goodness oh my goodness! I will have to sit down. Very kind of you to take all this time makin videos for the new peeps.

I have a black cherry 370 z roadster-should i use the Revive polish>here is your quote- usually use Revive Polish when doing flat, very dark colors to give the paint that last touch of finesse:

black cherry is not flat though....right? Lord help me....:confused:

:lol:

Another wife suffering through my videos? You should be ashamed Tom! :jester:

Thanks for the kudos. I really enjoy spreading the knowledge and sharing everything that I had to figure out on my own. Why couldn't there have been a You Tube back in the 80's?! :willy:

AJ, my wife just happened to hobble by on her crutches when she asked me who that was that I was watching. I had told her about meeting you in person at Grabiak's and Carlisle and what a character you were. She got a big kick out of watching these videoa and some of your comments. She knows a lot about care of cars from 31+ years of being married to me plus all of the Adams and Junkman videos. Keep up the great work and spreading the word. We sure are glad that you came to the "Adams Family"!

ha ha ha!!!! I wont touch that one!

hey Junkie-when is that dragon event you will be at? as an aside to this thread....

I'm not sure yet; the specifics are being ironed out. Also, have you checked out this thread in my section? It explains the paint correction products in detail and order. It's not hard at all, and the pads/products are color coded!

You should check out all my stickies in The Junkman's Corner.

Junkman-sorry i am a newbie-but what is FMP?

FMP stands for Adam's Fine Machine Polish. It is the polish that follows the Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover (SHR). Once you remove all of the swirls, haze and scratches with SHR, you have to follow that process with FMP in order to bring the paint back to a pristine shine (SHR leaves it somewhat dull looking). After FMP, you are now ready to apply wax.

All of the Adam's lingo we use is defined and can be found here. :thumbsup:

Archived