Customer Service 866.965.0400

3 Days of Detailing

routertyty

Here are the results of my 3 days of detailing this weekend.

1. Started off with a wash with Dawn

2. Dried the car with my leaf blower

3. Wiped down with detail spray

4. Clayed the entire car

5. Used 4" focus pads with yellow and orange pad for some of the big scratches.

6. 1 full day of SHR on entire car

7. Wiped down the car with detail spray

8. 1 full day of polishing with FMP

9. wiped down the car with detail spray

10. Waxed the car with buttery wax

11. Wiped down the car with detail spray

12. Waxed the car with MSW

13. wiped the car with detail spray

14. BSG on entire car then let dry and wiped off

15. VRT everywhere necessary

16. Undercarriage spray in wheel bays

Next weekend I need to do the interior now. Oh, and the wife now wants her car done too.

I'm spent!

I completely understand you being spent. I detailed my mom's Corolla and my wife's HHR all in one day. A little over 14 hours total to do it all. I could hardly walk that night and the next day.

Your car looks great!

The Audi looks great! Nicely done...

I completely understand you being spent. I detailed my mom's Corolla and my wife's HHR all in one day. A little over 14 hours total to do it all. I could hardly walk that night and the next day.

Your car looks great!

Oh yeah, been there on the after effects of overlong detailing.

What color is your wife's HHR? (the little HHR seems to have a lot paint for such a small platform :) ).

The Audi looks great! Nicely done...

Oh yeah, been there on the after effects of overlong detailing.

What color is your wife's HHR? (the little HHR seems to have a lot paint for such a small platform :) ).

Same as my truck. Victory Red.

That is definitely a great job but I have a question, if you don't mind.

How come you use Dawn detergent? I was under the impression that is not good for the paint, etc. What are the pros/cons of using this vs say Adams wash?

Thanks!

I used Dawn to strip the paint of everything... wax and other contaminants. I'm guessing that the clay bar does the exact same thing... and even better. I just heard that washing with Dawn just for your first polish is a good thing to do.

You should not wash your car under any other circumstances with Dawn. Now that I've done a complete polish and wax job I will only wash my car with Adam's car wash.

I used Dawn to strip the paint of everything... wax and other contaminants. I'm guessing that the clay bar does the exact same thing... and even better. I just heard that washing with Dawn just for your first polish is a good thing to do.

You should not wash your car under any other circumstances with Dawn. Now that I've done a complete polish and wax job I will only wash my car with Adam's car wash.

Just to clarify dawn is NOT a replacement for claying.

• 2 weeks later...

since ADAMS does not offer a Dawn equivalant I am going to suggest P21S Total Auto Wash. If you add the amount specified into the wash bucket and foam gun, you will completely strip all your wax/sealant. You can even spritz your wash pad for each panel. And its completely safe for anything on the car - paint, vinyl/rubber/plastic, wheels/tires, glass, ragtops. Its citrus based and inexpensive(when considering its safe use compared to Dawn).

If Dawn is used often it can really do some damage to your rubber trimming and possibly even the plastics. But with the rubber it can make it permanently change color, and rapidly increase dryrotting and cracking. even if you follow up with a conditioner. It leaches out all of the oils that make it soft and pliable.

There are also other alternatives that are purpose made, but imo the P21s is the better option.

I would really like to see Adam offer a product like this for those wax fanatics, cause I see a lot of people on this forum using Dawn on there new cars.

Yes, you can get away with using Dawn to strip, but it is not a foolproof or built for purpose safe product to use.

Archived