Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC: Hook & Loop Backing

PB3

Question

I recently picked up the PC and kit with all the fix'ins. As I sit at work and multitask between crunching numbers and watching Junkmans videos I noticed something. His backing plate is Yellow, mine is black. Did the kit come with a different size backing plate than the one Junkman demonstrates on his vid's?

I am guessing I could put a little strip of red duck tape on the back side of the plate to mimic what the black line on his yellow plate.

I actually tried with just the holes as a reference, but I guess as a novice, I just found the bright white stripe going around a better reference for rotational speed.

As a newb, I am spending so much time thinking about what I am doing as opposed to someone like AJ, Adam or Dylan who knows what is happening from experience, that for me the white stripe zipping by is something I can see easily. One less thing for my poor old brainbox to have to work on as I figure everything else out, is what I mean I guess. ;)

:iagree:

I've given her the green light to beat you with the nearest, cast iron skillet. :D

Now thats not cool! I have 3 of those! 2 are the 12" ones! (Hey ya gotta have a pair at least to make a proper Cuban style sandwich!) :lolsmack:

Yea I noticed that the backer in on my PC but the washer is not.. I will be installing that post haste.. This weekend in my first run with it.. good thing its on a black car, you know the easy color to fix! :pc:

Junkman, What about the Gray PC washer ?? Do i need to continue to use this with the new Adams PC (Black) backing plate ? The new backing plate is already 'stepped' with a black washer pre-installed. When i test fitted the new backing plate the clearance was fine, and the machine looked to be working properly (although i didnt use it on the paint yet) without adding the gray washer included with the PCXP.

If you can easily get the wrench in there in order to remove the back plate, then you should be okay.

Do you have any idea how much fun it is to annoy the wife reading aloud in a foreign language that you do not speak? :banana:

:lol: Yea she thought it was funny the first time, and I said well contact the Junkman.. hes the one that said to read it all! :lol:

I've given her the green light to beat you with the nearest, cast iron skillet. :D

You're not really reading the non-English versions....

Do you have any idea how much fun it is to annoy the wife reading aloud in a foreign language that you do not speak? :banana:

:lol: Yea she thought it was funny the first time, and I said well contact the Junkman.. hes the one that said to read it all! :lol:

The counterweight that you have will work fine. No need to change.

Junkman, What about the Gray PC washer ?? Do i need to continue to use this with the new Adams PC (Black) backing plate ? The new backing plate is already 'stepped' with a black washer pre-installed. When i test fitted the new backing plate the clearance was fine, and the machine looked to be working properly (although i didnt use it on the paint yet) without adding the gray washer included with the PCXP.

I like my new PC.. came with the counter weight and new pad already installed.. and per the Junkmans direction, I am reading the instructions cover to cover.. though the non English versions are a pain..

which counterweight should we use with this backing plate.

i already have a pc xp and have a 5'' c-weight installed already. can i get away with sticking with that c-weight, as i find it to be more versatile to use for the other plate applications i already have for the pc (especially the spot buff pads).

lmk if i should use your pads with the 6'' weight though as i just got all adams polishing products.

also, since there is already a black washer pre-installed on the adams new PC packing plate, do i need to also add the gray PC washer as well ?

The counterweight that you have will work fine. No need to change.

I ordered the new backing plate during the memorial day sale to go ahead and replace the yellow one. I tried it out this weekend for a short time, and it works great. I couldn't really tell a difference as far as balance or anything, they both seemed to work really well. I do like having the holes as a spinning reference now though, versus having the black mark on the yellow one. That black mark used to make my eyes hurt watching it spin around on the yellow backing plate. :lolsmack:

which counterweight should we use with this backing plate.

i already have a pc xp and have a 5'' c-weight installed already. can i get away with sticking with that c-weight, as i find it to be more versatile to use for the other plate applications i already have for the pc (especially the spot buff pads).

lmk if i should use your pads with the 6'' weight though as i just got all adams polishing products.

also, since there is already a black washer pre-installed on the adams new PC packing plate, do i need to also add the gray PC washer as well ?

I actually tried with just the holes as a reference, but I guess as a novice, I just found the bright white stripe going around a better reference for rotational speed.

As a newb, I am spending so much time thinking about what I am doing as opposed to someone like AJ, Adam or Dylan who knows what is happening from experience, that for me the white stripe zipping by is something I can see easily. One less thing for my poor old brainbox to have to work on as I figure everything else out, is what I mean I guess. ;)

New backing plate by Porter Cable is more balanced, has a better hook & loop, and spins more true. We discontinued the yellow after discovering it had a washer installed, then put in a plastic bag in the USA. Well, that was enough for it to be called, "American."

When I learned the plate was made in China, we immediately discontinued selling them, and went for the USA-made Porter Cable unit.:patriot:

Cost double, but we are supporting jobs at home, and offering the best unit on the market. :thumbsup:

Chris said it best, the holes are a great reference point, and you don't need a line/ mark to see if the pad is spinning.

With the new backing plate you don't need a mark you have the holes as a reference point.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#f3f4f5><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle width="41%">337.jpg</TD><TD width="59%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="54%"> </TD><TD width="46%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 align=middle colSpan=2>Adam's ALL NEW Dual-Action Velcro Backing Plate</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2>Catalog No: GEN2-04</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2>Price: $29.95 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=2><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--var VariantMinimumQty_337_356 = 0;var SelectedVariantInventory_337_356 = 999854;function AddToCartForm_337_356_Validator(theForm) { submitonce(theForm); if ((theForm.Quantity.value*1) < 1) { alert("Please specify the quantity you want to add to your cart"); theForm.Quantity.focus(); submitenabled(theForm); return (false); } submitenabled(theForm); return (true); }//--></SCRIPT><FORM id=AddToCartForm_337_356 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" name=AddToCartForm_337_356 onsubmit="return validateForm(this) && AddToCartForm_337_356_Validator(this)" action=addtocart.aspx?returnurl=showcategory.aspx%3fCategoryID%3d14%26SEName%3dmachine-polishing method=post> </FORM>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>This is simply the highest quality, Made in USA, completely balanced, super-sticky Backing Plate made on earth. It's the perfect mate for your PorterCable 7424 and 7424XP car polishers.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD background=/images/box_06.gif> </TD></TR><TR><TD>box_07.gif</TD><TD background=/images/box_08.gif> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's a different backing plate now. Works jess fine.

I used a bit of liquid paper on mine to give me a reference mark.

Ah! Great idea! Thanks for the confirmation.

Archived