Customer Service 866.965.0400

I never saw this before...

EricJ

The opaque window thing isn't all that new actually... theres been applications for that in commercial and residential settings for years now. Mercedes finally moved it to cars when the Maybach was first released and used it for the skylight feature.

I saw lots of it first hand with one of previous employers. We worked closely with a company that installed the systems for business's. We would do elaborate AV integration for conference rooms, these guys would come in behind us and install these windows so when a high profile or private meeting was going on the windows could be "switched on" to make it secure. Pretty cool stuff.

Still RIDICULOUSLY cost prohibitive, but I could see uses for it even in auto security. Windows that go opaque when you set your alarm... keeps people from seeing whats inside and probably would cut down on temps.

Its coming down in price, not where it needs to be yet for mass distribution to the market, but its getting there.

I liken it to plasma TV, flat panel displays. People think this is NEW technology, something thats cropped up in the last 10 years... it really isn't. Flat panel displays were used in the pentagon since the 1970s!! They've been used in places like the NYSE since the 80's... they just recently became cheap enough to manufacture for the consumer market is all.

Archived