Customer Service 866.965.0400

FedEx Ground Service vs. FedEx Home Delivery???

Z71_Denali

I just put another order in a couple days ago shipped via FedEx Ground Service and got my tracking number yesterday! :mail: should arrive on the 14th.

my question for you today, what is the difference in FedEx Home Delivery and Ground Service??? the price for the two is not that much. :confused:

Home Delivery has more flexibility when it comes to the delivery service itself (Tuesday through Sunday, 1pm - 9pm). As far as I know, the fleet used by the Ground Service is often independently owned/contracted, and have set territories and routes and they will deliver only from like 9am - 4pm, Monday through Friday, when you're usually not at home. The fleet is owned and operated by FedEx.

We don't have the latter service here in Canada but imho it's well worth the extra bucks. :thumbsup:

Fedex Ground Home Delivery is a service of Fedex Ground (used to be RPS) for US residential deliveries. This service is currently available to nearly all of the continental USA, and we use this service by default wherever it is available and Ground shipment is requested.Fedex Home Delivery basically duplicates what regular UPS Ground services do, but with the following advantages for package recipients (consignees):

1.They will deliver on Saturdays at no extra charge.

2.You can request deliveries at a specific time, including as late as 8PM, and on Saturdays. This is a big advantage for people who have problems receiving packages during times (like daytime when you're at work) that UPS normally likes to make deliveries.

3.To distant points (in our case, most of the west coast) Fedex Home Delivery is generally about a day quicker than UPS Ground.

4.The single-day (overnight) Fedex Ground delivery area from Chicago is about 50% larger than UPS, and includes nearly all of Illinois & Indiana, plus substantial portions of Wisconsin (generally as far as LaCrosse & Oshkosh) lower Michigan, eastern Iowa and eastern Missouri.

If you order online, and are having your package shipped to a residential address, and receive a Notice Of Shipment that indicates your package was shipped by Fedex Ground, you can call Fedex (1-800-GO-FEDEX) and request a specific delivery time (give or take an hour or two). If you are positive (eg: you've received packages from us previously by Fedex Ground) you can receive packages by Fedex Home Delivery, you can email us with your specific date/time delivery request and we can enter this information at the time your order is shipped.

3.Fedex Ground picks up from us about 3 hours later than UPS. Thus, if Fedex Ground is available to your location, it's much more likely that your package will be shipped the same day you order.

Fedex Ground also delivers to many places in Canada and Mexico, but due to governmental regulations in those countries, there's a fairly substantial Customs/Douane/Aduana clearance charge (something like Cdn$25 or MP200) on these shipments, unless you are a commercial/business recipient with a Fedex account and your own customs broker, this makes small packages pretty expensive to ship by this method to Canada or Mexico.

Got this from a google search...

After a battle last week, I did learn this. It is up to the DRIVERS DISCRETION as far as the signature goes. I have never needed to sign for something, but after waiting for a package and the leaving for lunch, boom they show up. I called Fed Ex and they tell me the drivwer decides whether or not you need to sign for it. Just FYI. It was the Fed Ex Home Delivery.

Short quick answer -

Home delivery will only deliver residential and will deliver on Saturdays, Ground will deliver to home or business, but only monday thru friday. If you're having it delivered to your home go with Home delivery.

Home is the way to go for residential :thumbsup:

Short quick answer -

Home delivery will only deliver residential and will deliver on Saturdays, Ground will deliver to home or business, but only monday thru friday. If you're having it delivered to your home go with Home delivery.

This is correct, my son-in-law is a Home deliverer.:thumbsup:

My new house has a gate on the driveway so the driver can't get up to the house and the drive is nearly 1/4 mile long. So what is my best way to handle delivery?

have them drop it off the air plane in a crate with a parachute, slowly descending and hope it lands on your front door.:lolsmack:

My new house has a gate on the driveway so the driver can't get up to the house and the drive is nearly 1/4 mile long. So what is my best way to handle delivery?

For those kinds of questions it would be in your best interest to contact FedEx and see what they say. We're 'customers' of theirs just like you guys are so if you have odd or unusual circumstances with your delivery it'd be best to get info straight from the horses mouth.

For those kinds of questions it would be in your best interest to contact FedEx and see what they say. We're 'customers' of theirs just like you guys are so if you have odd or unusual circumstances with your delivery it'd be best to get info straight from the horses mouth.

Dylan, Thanks I will give them a call and find out how they can handle that situation. I know I don't want packages left outside the gate.

• 1 year later...

ahhhh so this explains why my fedex guy last year was on the dot 9:30 am +- 10 minutes. if i had to i could always schedule a customer for later in the morning if i had to wait for a part.

Now this year its a crapshoot. i had one package delivered at 730PM

Our UPS guy is never in our neck of the woods before dinner time... I almost feel bad for the guy b/c he looks like a train wreck when he stops by our place. Really nice guy too, he just says his route is one of the more spread out and we're at the very end of his day... if anything goes wrong early then the rest of his route is shot.

Our UPS guy is never in our neck of the woods before dinner time... I almost feel bad for the guy b/c he looks like a train wreck when he stops by our place.

We must have the same UPS guy. Sounds dead on what mine looks like and does.

Archived