Customer Service 866.965.0400

compressed air to detail-electrical components

Sandra Dee

Question

:help:the body shop where I have my 370Z >painted it and set it outside the shop to cure-meanwhile-the fans in the shop blew dust all INSIDE my car cuz trhey left the top&windows down!! Like a fine fine dust-all over the CD player and in where the motor is for the convert top-in windows, everywhere.

My question: they use compressed air to clean the dust out per the manager-will that further push this dust into my console components? I want to give the car back to nissan at this point-screwed up paint now the inisde has been violated. I would never let it get dust inisde like they did...:mad:

I wanted some inside info since I have never use compressed air to detail or know enough to have an advantage over these slick talkers.

What a bummer!:mad: Why did they have the top down?

I don't think they could put the top up since there is a tonneau that would have been painted when they painted the car. The top would press down tightly against the newly painted tonneau.

To the original poster.....I doubt the dust will hurt anything. When you drive with the top down, dust enters the car. If you don't plan on lowering the top, just get a coupe and save about $5K. I think things will be ok. You need to chill out just a little bit and quit worrying so much.

This is a body shop guys... I can just about guarantee you that there will be NO oil and NO water in the system. They have the best driers out there...

well i would hope any air line that is running any kinda of spray gun would have a filter that would separate oil and water but not necessarily is that the case on the line that runs air tools. d/a, impact gun, etc. most of those tools require oil and usually don't have filtration on them even though they should.

a fish eye is basically some form of oil or wax left on a panel that was not "washed" properly and as a result the paint will spread away from the place that was not cleaned a good painter can fix it while the paint is still "fresh" but you will know it when you see it. It will appear to look like and actual inside out fish eye (circular, and bows inward) or basically a dimple in the paint

thanks Josh!

a fish eye is basically some form of oil or wax left on a panel that was not "washed" properly and as a result the paint will spread away from the place that was not cleaned a good painter can fix it while the paint is still "fresh" but you will know it when you see it. It will appear to look like and actual inside out fish eye (circular, and bows inward) or basically a dimple in the paint

you shouldnt im a painter and at my shop i make sure that all of my jobs come put the way i would want my car and we use excellent equipment to filter our air and anyone owning/working in a shop would know that to use a silicone based product is just a big no no because no matter where the car would be in the shop the paint would fish eye when sprayed

thanks! I am going to pick the car up soon and hopefully it will be OK. I have not had it for a month now.

I just hope I can tell if there is anything amiss with it. I am no paint expert and the lack of knowledge is my weakness. I know what orange peel looks like-not sure about fish eye-but have heard the term before.:help:

you shouldnt im a painter and at my shop i make sure that all of my jobs come put the way i would want my car and we use excellent equipment to filter our air and anyone owning/working in a shop would know that to use a silicone based product is just a big no no because no matter where the car would be in the shop the paint would fish eye when sprayed

you know I will too. It will take me the week after I pick iit up to make it right(since I work full time-lol)

With this hurricane coming I am not going to worry about the car right now-it can stay over there. Things get put in perspective sometimes-quickly. Thanks everyone-I feel better since most people have said not to woryy about it. So I wont.:glasses:

the manager said he had repainted the panel behind the convertible top-and it was baking. So they put the car outside and consequently the bondo dust /sanding dust blew out from the shop into my car.

he said they will detail it and I can inspect it before it goes back to the dealer where I pick it up.

Wish I had a detailing male buddy to go with me...just being honest. :willy:

Cool! They'll slather the interior with silicon and call it detailed!

Then you can spend hours removing it all so you can put on a real protectant.

Chris

What a bummer!:mad: Why did they have the top down?

the manager said he had repainted the panel behind the convertible top-and it was baking. So they put the car outside and consequently the bondo dust /sanding dust blew out from the shop into my car.

he said they will detail it and I can inspect it before it goes back to the dealer where I pick it up.

Wish I had a detailing male buddy to go with me...just being honest. :willy:

i wouldnt worry about it although they should of had that all cleaned up and polished before they tried to give it back to you, now the electronics depending on the amount of dust it could hurt it but we are talking like dumping a bowl of dust onto the boards. but since ur car is new and it was in the shop due to a paint defect they didnt do any body work so you are in the clear. If ur still not comfortable you can get a rag and wipe everywhere you can get to and then follow up with a vacuum and some canned air. Just blow and vacuum whatever gets blown up

ehh dust is a lubricant.... id be more worried about what was in the compressed air for oil, water, etc... what kind of filtration do they have on their compressor hopeful they blew it out with the line from the spray booth and not the one that runs their d/a

Ignoring the fact that they should never have let it happen, I would not sweat it Sandra.

I've been an electronics tech in the Navy for almost 20 years and you would be amazed at how much dust and crap gets into the craziest places. The gear keeps on chugging along.

Not a bad idea, like Ryan mentioned to blast the AC for a while to help get that cleaned out.

Grab one of the keyboard air cans when it gets dust, you don't want to use a high compressed air for the interior xD. That's just me. I've heard about the magnetic microfiber towels too that does a great job for the cars interior, never tried it tho. :D

if the dust wont hurt it.

I doubt dust will hurt the dash of a new car. My truck gets plenty of dust in it from going down gravel roads with the windows down and mowing the grass... Its nothing a Swiffer Duster and some APC or Interior Cleaner can't take care of.

I'd say clean the dust off with Interior Cleaner and then go over it with some Leather Conditioner. The conditioner seems to keep dust from sticking to the dash.

If it is just ON the components and not IN them then you should be able to just use a Swiffer Duster or something like that to get the dust off. I mean its a body shop not a detail shop.

I dont want to sound like a butt but I learned not to expect much from body shops like that.

all I want is honest replies-thanks! I respect that-I dont think anyone here is :jester:. it gives me a direction to go in when I talk to the manager. I dont want to sound like a butt either if the dust wont hurt it.

If it is just ON the components and not IN them then you should be able to just use a Swiffer Duster or something like that to get the dust off. I mean its a body shop not a detail shop.

I dont want to sound like a butt but I learned not to expect much from body shops like that.

If it was brand new and came with cracked clear coat I would send it back to the factory and get another new one.... It will only get worse.

Archived