Customer Service 866.965.0400

paint correction help needed. single stage Urethane on Jeep ... (pics)

Jkrause

Question

It’s been a long while since I’ve had reason to post on the forum … But long story short I need some SOUND advice on making this paint look as GREAT as possible… I have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler that I prepped as much as I wanted to then shot a single state urethane (solid color) candy apple red on it using a HVLP gun NO CLEAR COAT.. I used Matrix low VOX paint / hardener / reducer.  Color is OUTSTANDING.  Well the car has some dry spray ( overspray where I painted panels) and some orange peel (some areas are PERFECT others not so much).  I’m looking for some tips to correct this paint job as much as possible without breaking the bank OR my back to much. 

Here’s what I have to work with… DA air sander, hand sanding tools, a Porter cable DA polisher.  (NO I don’t own a 7” orbital) what can I do to remove the overspray / orange peel.

before:

4AC10A46-0C17-44E2-B020-2E6976B9A48E.jpg

After:

0D1A0807-74AB-40B6-9B12-A72799B96FC3.jpg

THANKS …

Edited by Jkrause

Using a clay bar should help with the overspray.  

Wetsanding should help with the orange peel.  There is a new denim pad available to help with removing orange peel, but something stronger than a PC is recommended.

Most people would wetsand the paint and then polish back to a shine.  

I agree with Chris. and indeed, start with 1500 grit sandpaper, move to 2K, and then 2500, and if possible go to 3K.  Then, you will  want to use our Orange Microfiber Pad and Paint Correcting Polish.  Move on to the Orange Foam Pad, and Paint Correcting Polish using your Porter Cable Polisher.

Sand one area first, to see how it responds.  If your orange peel is super intense, you may need to start with 1000 grit paper.

Keep us posted!

Thank you for the advice Adam.

I actually met you not that I would count on you remember but it had to be 10 to 12 years ago in Phoenix Arizona you had the Adams polishes out at a Costco in Mesa. You actually took the time to go to the parking lot and take a look at a jeep I had and polished up some plastic trim to look like new it was awesome thanks. That Adam is what sold me on using Adams polishes for the last umpteen years.