Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana cracking in tub

Gambrinus

Question

12 answers to this question

DO NOT microwave it!  That generates too much heat, too quickly and will "burn" the wax.

Here's the best way to do it:

Prepare a shallow baking dish with about an inch of water in it, or enough to go about halfway up the side of the wax pot.  Heat it up on the stove, and place the wax pot itself in the hot water.  As the pot warms, it will slowly melt the wax pieces in it to a liquid state.  Once everything is melted, remove the pot from the water and allow it to cool on the coutner.  Do not refrigerate to accellerate the cooling, let it happen at room temperature.

Read this thread.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/16962-is-my-americana-pretty-much-ruined-pic-inside/?hl=%2Bamericana+%2Bruined

Looks like the pictures that were posted were deleted by the poster who originally tried it.  It did work well.  Looked brand new.  Biggest trick is to only melt what is necessary and melt it slow.  It won't take much heat.  The slower the better.

Edited by LFairbanks

You can always dump all of it out of the container into a stainless steel pot, heat it on low to melt it to complete liquid, and re-pour it into the Americana container and let it set up nice and firm again in the container.  (stir it up prior to pouring)

Should be good as new.

You can always dump all of it out of the container into a stainless steel pot, heat it on low to melt it to complete liquid, and re-pour it into the Americana container and let it set up nice and firm again in the container.  (stir it up prior to pouring)

Should be good as new.

But then you have all that residue that gets left in the pot and not in your container.

But then you have all that residue that gets left in the pot and not in your container.

If you heat it up all the way it literally should run out like water, not soup.  Paste wax is mostly liquid solvent (45%) by composition anyway, the rest is a blend of waxes and an oil agent of some sort.  You'll have barely a lick of residue on that pot and can rinse the rest down the drain when done with hot water with no ill effects.

If you heat it up all the way it literally should run out like water, not soup.  Paste wax is mostly liquid solvent (45%) by composition anyway, the rest is a blend of waxes and an oil agent of some sort.  You'll have barely a lick of residue on that pot and can rinse the rest down the drain when done with hot water with no ill effects.

Each to their own, I guess.  I understand it pours out like a liquid, but not like water like your implying.  It is cooling as your pouring it.  And then to rinse the excess down your drain????  Who is to say that stuff isn't going to create some sort of magnet (for lack of a better word) to other household foods and what not that do get down the drain?  Even without putting stuff that shouldn't be in your drain it still looks nasty and the walls of the pipes start collecting gunk.  Especially on the horizontal runs.  

Edited by LFairbanks

Each to their own, I guess.  I understand it pours out like a liquid, but not like water like your implying.  It is cooling as your pouring it.  And then to rinse the excess down your drain????  Who is to say that stuff isn't going to create some sort of magnet (for lack of a better word) to other household foods and what not that do get down the drain?  Even without putting stuff that shouldn't be in your drain it still looks nasty and the walls of the pipes start collecting gunk.  Especially on the horizontal runs.  

If it really bothers you I'm sure a few spritzes of APC on your pan and a quick wipe after pouring into the tub should leave your pan ready for a normal wash with Dawn dish soap as normal.  Didn't say I would pour it down the drain but you seem to be worried about it doing something to your pan.

It's not candle wax here which will solidify in 3 seconds once spilled, melting a solvent based paste wax is much different.

If it really bothers you I'm sure a few spritzes of APC on your pan and a quick wipe after pouring into the tub should leave your pan ready for a normal wash with Dawn dish soap as normal.  Didn't say I would pour it down the drain but you seem to be worried about it doing something to your pan.

It's not candle wax here which will solidify in 3 seconds once spilled, melting a solvent based paste wax is much different.

Not sure where I mentioned I was worried about a pan.  Just making others aware of potential waste and hazards.  Look at the picture and decide for yourself if that residue that is left is acceptable, and realize your only seeing the top of the jar.  Not what is left in the bottom.  

post-706-0-20072400-1411658245_thumb.jpg