Customer Service 866.965.0400

Storing Products - Heat

thatryan

Question

I read that temps excess of 90 can be bad.

I am in CA and keep everything in my garage, we have had some triple digits temps lately and I know my garage gets hotter than outside. The consistency of several products changed when I used them this weekend and I do not think worked as well. So my question is what do other people do for storing?

It seems more of you all deal with freezing rather than melting ;) Anyone deal with heat? Is there anything better to store in that helps "block" heat... I am hesitant to suggest temp controlled box or something lol, does such a thing exist?

Carrying in and out of house would really not work for me...not much room, not much strength.

Thanks for input!

12 answers to this question

I don't know of any type of box or anything like that. One suggestion might be a wheeled shopping cart. They don't take up a lot of room and can fold up when not in use. They can be pushed/ pulled with less effort than carrying. It's been in the 90's here much of the last few weeks and that can definitely have an effect on the products.

To be honest I actually think direct sunlight is far worse than heat, or a combo of both worse than a hot garage alone.

I keep my paste wax in the fridge, but everything else on my shelf is covered and/or out of the view of direct sunlight.  UV exposure does tons of different things to chemicals.  Sure my garage probably gets up to 90 in the summer, but as long as everything is kept out of the sun, on the shelf, I just give everything a thorough shake, no issues yet.

Freezing temps in the winter, yes, I bring inside.

Adam  recommends no lower than 45* and no higher than 85*.

Here's a quote from the Chief.....

You guys are great! So, the official temperature range to keep products from separating, or changing color:

Minimum: 45 degrees
Maximum: 85 degrees

Chemicals hate temperature change, and the more often the temp changes, the faster the products will spoil.

We heat the products to get the color to remain consistent, as well as getting the surfactants to work, which keeps the products from separating. By heating the products to that temperature again, about 95+ degrees, they reverse, separate, or change color.

Keeping product in the trunk over summer is a great way for things to get ugly, unless stored in a bag or sealed bucket out of the sunlight.

If possible, it's best to put your car care products in the wash room in the winter and summer, if your garage reaches temperatures outside of the range above.

My advice: Buy car care products just like you buy bread!

Buy it fresh, and often. Chemicals age at 10X dog years! :willy: So, a bottle of polish or wax that is a year old, is really 70.

Don't buy more product than you will use in a year, as the possibility of extreme temperature change is always there. (Unless you live on the beach in San Diego.)

Another thing to consider: We improve 50% of our line every year, and 100% of it within 2 years. Do you want the old news?

Technology never stops, and today's, "BEST," is only the best for a few minutes, before something better is developed.

Plan on using everything up by the end of the year, and get fresh goods in February-March, as we almost always take the winter to develop new products.

So, that's my $.02 on keeping car care products! :patriot:

I have a large tote in my closet for all my gallon containers and extra 16oz products. I have a second smaller container for everything I use when cleaning. It holds about 16 bottles. I also keep this container on a shelf in my closet. I'm sure extreme temps could degrade the products, but I'm not storing off the shelf products. I pay a premium for quality. It's an investment; an investment I want to protect.

Edited by KSRegalGS

I keep most of my products in the garage and have never had a problem - even with Texas temps well over 100deg.

This DOES NOT include waxes, sealants, aerosol cans, polishes, clay.  Those stay in a climate controlled environment in a small tote that is easy to carry to the garage for a detail session.

No problems with ANY of the cleaner products in the heat.