Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing paint from lines on the road

mdamore419

Question

So a while ago I got stuck behind the truck that sprays the paint onto the road for the lines and unfortunately ran over the wet paint and got it in the wheel wells and on the side of the car. I have tried a bunch of different ways to remove it but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it?

13 answers to this question

I don't know if you can buy them in stores anywhere, but my local detail distributor has road paint wipes. They are wipes that seem to be somewhat abrasive and have a strong solvent on them. They work very well, but I'm sure you can also do damage if you're not careful. I've also heard oven cleaner works, but I've never tried it so I wouldn't recommend it without doing some research first.

It should just come right off.  Use a brush in the wheel wells. It should be thermoplastic, it's not actually paint. 

depends where you live and if it was a state, county or local muni doing the striping.  It could be a water based paint, it could be epoxy based.  Thermoplastic isn't sprayed from a long line truck like the OP was most likely behind at least not here in WI. 

Not sure if the paint type would change the suggestions for removal but thought I would throw that out there.

Edited by Erictski

He treats this truck like a Ferrari, it's absurd haha.  

Hey now! I resemble a guy who treats it like a Ferrari, I should know I married a good Italian girl with that name. 

I treat mine like a Ferrari, washed regularly, polished, shining like crazy, and then flog the ever loving heck out of her whenever I can! (the truck not the wife.....) 

Haha I hear ya.  He does keep it really nice and the paint is in decent shape (though he needs a good waxing).  I just bust his balls becuase he won't even drive his truck on a beach in the Outer Banks when the rest of us were out there beating on our SUV's....he didn't want to get sand in the hubs.  To each their own!  

Haha I hear ya.  He does keep it really nice and the paint is in decent shape (though he needs a good waxing).  I just bust his balls becuase he won't even drive his truck on a beach in the Outer Banks when the rest of us were out there beating on our SUV's....he didn't want to get sand in the hubs.  To each their own!  

Shhh dont let Wolf hear of this, he will come take his Raptor out there and play too and I think he actually drinks the detail spray....

I'm not real sure if you would be able to get your hands on it but we use this stuff called eliminator. Our local detail supplier has it only problem is it some times works and other times it doesn't lol. I personally don't care for the stuff but you might like it.

I had the same thing happen last year. There were no signs posted anywhere. Didn't even realize I went over the line till I arrived at my destination. Happen to be right across from a body shop when I got out of my truck. One side was splattered yellow, one side white. I actually walked over to the body shop to ask their suggestion. It was steam!! He said most stripes in PA are water based and steam takes them right out. Also, call the municipality it happened in to see if they will pay for it. In my case they did because I was able to prove there were no signs or cones anywhere. I also documented the now white and yellow truck that used to be red! Turned out great.

Of course after the steam bath, I clayed it and gave it a fresh coat of quick sealant!

Edited by FlyingDakota