Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black Trim Restorer On Tires

zw470

Question

Has anyone tried this yet?  I know there are tire "coatings" available from other manufacturers, but I don't like other manufacturers LOL.  I imagine the tires would require a very meticulous cleaning before the application (I'm thinking of using one of those disposable, foam paint brush things) but it would be worth it to not have to apply VRT after every wash.

Oh yeah, you guys have until the 18th Anniversary Sale is over to talk me out of trying this :lolsmack:

Edited by zw470

17 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, zw470 said:

Has anyone tried this yet?  I know there are tire "coatings" available from other manufacturers, but I don't like other manufacturers LOL.  I imagine the tires would require a very meticulous cleaning before the application (I'm thinking of using one of those disposable, foam paint brush things) but it would be worth it to not have to apply VRT after every wash.

Oh yeah, you guys have until the 18th Anniversary Sale is over to talk me out of trying this :lolsmack:

We haven’t tried it, but we have worked with the other tire coatings. I can tell you prep is extremely finicky. To the point we’ve talked about discontinuing offering the other coating. The slightest thing goes wrong with the prep and you take the coating off and start again. 

I would be curious how this works if you try it. 

16 hours ago, zw470 said:

Why would we talk you out of it?   What possible impact does it have on any member of this group what you do to your tires?

If you want to try it, try it.   Let us know how it turns out.  

13 hours ago, Rich said:

Applying VRT takes all of 5 minutes.  Worth the time to me.

In most situations I would agree. However I'm already applying VRT with a paintbrush instead of a hex-grip, so instead of taking 5 minutes to go over all 4 tires twice, it's more like 5 minutes per tire.

1. The hex-grip won't leave any product in between the side lugs on my KO2s

2. My wheels don't have a "flange" to mount weights, so there's no ledge to keep the hex-grip from leaving product on the wheels. Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but my wheels are matte black and it's a major pain in the *** to get the VRT back off of them

If it's possible to successfully apply the Black Trim Restorer instead it would save me a lot of time and aggravation only having to deal with that every couple of months instead of every time I wash. 

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Why would we talk you out of it?   What possible impact does it have on any member of this group what you do to your tires?

If you want to try it, try it.   Let us know how it turns out.  

It doesn't, but if someone else has already tried it unsuccessfully it would be nice if they relayed that information so I don't waste my time and money. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

You could always use Tire Shine and wipe off the excess.  That would get into the lugs.

I've thought about doing that or using a diluted VRT "milk"  In either case I think it would take a lot of effort to keep over-spray off my wheels, and in the case of the Tire Shine I would almost never have the opportunity to let my truck just sit for a day so the Tire Shine could dry completely.  Can't have this happening anymore...

yKxWRUU.jpg

Edited by zw470

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Get one of these.  https://www.amazon.com/Kase-20-Unique-Detailing-Durable/dp/B073XWXZ22

I had one that I won once that was junk . This one looks better made and looks like you don't have to hold it while you use it. This could be your answer. 

A little pricey for what it is, but nonetheless interesting.....

You can get a similar one at Advance or Auto Zone for less.   Mine was just cheap plastic but it worked. I figured that maybe if you have steel wheels, maybe put some magnets on it so you have one hand free, rather than having to hold it on. But they do work, and might be the solution for you  since you seem happy with the VRT.  Just a thought. 

Nope, no steelies here :P

MtoSFA2r.jpg

I don't know what it is about the finish on them, but VRT just sticks to it like crazy. Unless someone comes forward and can tell me flat out "black trim restorer doesn't work on tires" I'll probably end up trying it. Worst case I'll just get one of those shields or go back to painting VRT on with a brush haha. 

I have nothing to add on trim restorer. But I've switched to TS with great results. Lasts longer than VRT, and you can make as shiny or dull as you want. To avoid overspray, simply spray the TS directly onto the applicator (i.e., foam block) and apply to the tires. Then, wipe down any excess to help with potential sling.

I too have aggressively lugged tires and applying TS or VRT to them is very challenging (VRT being even harder).  Misting the TS on the tires always lands on my freshly cleaned black wheels, even following Adam's suggestion of only spraying the upper tread block (Which on my tires is like the Grand Canyon) and even in the wind-free environment of my garage, I have to go back over my wheels with DS to get them cleaned.  Also, taking an applicator over the side walls of a Nitto Trail Grappler...yeah right.  All it does is eliminate some of the spots and smooth it but I've given up trying to get a good coverage inside of every lug and divot.  I have Tire and Rubber Cleaner on order, I'm thinking I'll try just cleaning them to look like new tires and just leaving them like that and leave the Tire Shine/VRT look to the "normal" tires in my collection.

Edited by LSX Maestro

I have used the trim restorer on the plastic trim on my Camaro SS, I don't think it will be a good idea to use it on the tire, not because it won't work, but because it will be a royal pain to get it done. On my car rear valance, once properly prepped, it took about 15 min or rubbing the trim restorer in to make the plastic black nice and even... I can't imagine doing that to those tires. I haven't used it on the rubber trim yet, but on plastic, it works great. Now, lets see how durable it is.