Customer Service 866.965.0400

Looking for new family(ish) car

Blazelow

Alright guys and gals, 

Since this is basically a car enthusiast forum, Im looking for suggestions from you guys.  Im looking at getting a new car for myself, but needs 4 doors to be able to fit a car seat.  I had a GTO years ago and loved that car, so naturally I looked right into G8's, but Id like to find a stick and its nearly impossible to find a GXP. Ive also been looking at CTS-Vs which I would love. Any other sedans, SUV's that you guys would suggest? My price point is right at 20k.  

1 hour ago, Blazelow said:

Ive thought about an STI, I just feel like the power would be lacking.  I do like AWD though.    

Same here. That’s the only thing holding me back. The older ones seem like they were faster. 

The wife wanted a new car a few years ago and after many test drives she settled on the Malibu.  It is very comfortable for traveling and there is plenty of room.  The power is good, gas mileage is great and it has been reliable for 87,000 miles.   I tried to convince her that she wanted a GTO with the 6-speed and she agreed it was nicest standard she'd ever driven, but that was not what she wanted.

Edited by RayS

3 hours ago, Blazelow said:

Alright guys and gals, 

Since this is basically a car enthusiast forum, Im looking for suggestions from you guys.  Im looking at getting a new car for myself, but needs 4 doors to be able to fit a car seat.  I had a GTO years ago and loved that car, so naturally I looked right into G8's, but Id like to find a stick and its nearly impossible to find a GXP. Ive also been looking at CTS-Vs which I would love. Any other sedans, SUV's that you guys would suggest? My price point is right at 20k.  

If you have a little wiggle room in your budget I would suggest looking at a used Chevrolet SS. It's a bad *** sedan weighing just shy of 4,000lbs with the 6.2L LS3 mated to a 6 speed! Basically the newer version of a G8 with in my opinion a far better design. Some other good options would be a used Buick Regal GS, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX or STi, Audi S4, BMW M3, Infiniti Q50, Kia Stinger or VW Passat TDI or V6 to name a few. Keep in mind some of these cars such as the Audi and BMW will need to be a few years older than the other cars to be in your price point. But a nice used Audi S4 with the V8 would be a fun car! 

2 hours ago, imatt27 said:

I’m in the same situation. I’ve been looking at chargers and Subaru sti. 

In my opinion Chargers are junk and I would steer clear of them. Everyone I have that I've met or known who had a Charger or Challenger had issues with it. Only FCA product I'd purchase is probably the Hellcat or Demon. 

1 hour ago, imatt27 said:

Same here. That’s the only thing holding me back. The older ones seem like they were faster. 

I wouldn't doubt it if the older models were faster. Subaru has really shot themselves in the foot by not updating the vehicles drivetrain in over 10 years. During that same time period the cars have gotten heavier because of new safety features and regulations. With that being said I still do love my 2005 Subaru WRX. Got it as my first car when I turned 16 back in 2005. Currently the car is sitting at my parents house with a mint 52,000 miles. 

I would think to go with the Charger actually, I have 3 very good friends who have had no major issues with them and I own a Challenger with no issues. Only thing to date has been the recall for the adaptive cruise which was an easy programing fix at the dealer. 

Not a Mopar guy, but I have to agree with the Charger. I also know guys who have them and no issues.  I have a CTS and there is ZERO room in the back or trunk.  My grandkids ask me all the time when I'm going to get a bigger car (their dad drives an F250 and mom drives an Explorer).  Room is absolutely necessary because they aren't going to stop growing.  

46 minutes ago, crrafferty89 said:

If you have a little wiggle room in your budget I would suggest looking at a used Chevrolet SS. It's a bad *** sedan weighing just shy of 4,000lbs with the 6.2L LS3 mated to a 6 speed! Basically the newer version of a G8 with in my opinion a far better design. Some other good options would be a used Buick Regal GS, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX or STi, Audi S4, BMW M3, Infiniti Q50, Kia Stinger or VW Passat TDI or V6 to name a few. Keep in mind some of these cars such as the Audi and BMW will need to be a few years older than the other cars to be in your price point. But a nice used Audi S4 with the V8 would be a fun car! 

In my opinion Chargers are junk and I would steer clear of them. Everyone I have that I've met or known who had a Charger or Challenger had issues with it. Only FCA product I'd purchase is probably the Hellcat or Demon. 

I wouldn't doubt it if the older models were faster. Subaru has really shot themselves in the foot by not updating the vehicles drivetrain in over 10 years. During that same time period the cars have gotten heavier because of new safety features and regulations. With that being said I still do love my 2005 Subaru WRX. Got it as my first car when I turned 16 back in 2005. Currently the car is sitting at my parents house with a mint 52,000 miles. 

had zero issues with my 2012 charger srt8. great cars with lots of room and power. theres no 4 door in its class that compares

8 hours ago, crrafferty89 said:

A SS would be awesome, however they seem to be retaining their value very well as I havent really seen any that even come close to my budget.    Ive actually seen a few BMW M5s right at my price range.   Might have to go take a look at one of those with a V10.  I just get a little leary with those foreign vehicles due to cost of repair. 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Not a Mopar guy, but I have to agree with the Charger. I also know guys who have them and no issues.  I have a CTS and there is ZERO room in the back or trunk.  My grandkids ask me all the time when I'm going to get a bigger car (their dad drives an F250 and mom drives an Explorer).  Room is absolutely necessary because they aren't going to stop growing.  

Rich, you just broke my heart.....

Kids slowed me down quite a bit and the best thing Jeep ever did was make the 4 door Wrangler.  I had a 2 door Wrangler with my son and it was ok.  Then we had a daughter and I moved in to a 4 door Wrangler.  Not really sporty but the new wranglers are really nice.  Also the sky is the limit on mods.  Good luck with your search.

12 hours ago, Rich said:

Rich, do you have a V?   Im trying to figure out if the V automatics have paddle shifters.

13 hours ago, crrafferty89 said:

If you have a little wiggle room in your budget I would suggest looking at a used Chevrolet SS. It's a bad *** sedan weighing just shy of 4,000lbs with the 6.2L LS3 mated to a 6 speed! Basically the newer version of a G8 with in my opinion a far better design. 

Why did you have to say that? I spent a couple hours online last night looking a the SS and now I'm obsessed. I need to find a way to get into one. The outside actually looks similar to the Kia Stinger IMO. I think I'd rather have a LS GM over a 3.3TT Kia. The 10 year 100k mile warranty on the Stinger sounds really nice though. 

@Blazelow You might check out the Kia Stinger. I don't know what the base price is but I think the 2.0t comes close to your budget and the 10 year 100k warranty would be great. They look very sporty and the inside is very nice too!

If you want to go with something a bit bigger, you could try a BMW X5M or X6M. I’m not sure the price range on those right now, but it would probably have to be earlier 2010’s to fit your budget. 

If you're talking "New" your options are limited at a budget of 20K.... I would look at the Civic Si (Si trim are all stick shifts), MSRP is starting about $24,000 (nicely equipped), and you can expect to get about $1500 - $2000 dealer discount.

It's a fun car to drive, reliable, low total cost of ownership, and it holds it value well.

Also... They make a ton of accessories and performance parts (both Honda and aftermarket) and they are relatively inexpensive. 

Edited by rseward

19 minutes ago, rseward said:

If you're talking "New" your options are limited at a budget of 20K.... I would look at the Civic Si (Si trim are all stick shifts), MSRP is starting about $24,000 (nicely equipped), and you can expect to get about $1500 - $2000 dealer discount.

It's a fun car to drive, reliable, low total cost of ownership, and it holds it value well.

Also... They make a ton of accessories and performance parts (both Honda and aftermarket) and they are relatively inexpensive. 

Definitely not looking for new.  Looking somewhere around 2010 or so.     There is a 2008 M3 sedan that is staring at me though.   Very tempting

2 hours ago, Velvethelmet said:

Forget the four doors and get back into a GTO ?

M6 6,300 miles $22,000. Still smells new inside. 

That would be such a beautiful car if it were in Red, yet is still one sweet looking car.  I would probably have to hide the 9.3 mpg from the wife, but then again she understands that a real car doesn't always get the best mileage. 

3 hours ago, Velvethelmet said:

Forget the four doors and get back into a GTO ?

M6 6,300 miles $22,000. Still smells new inside. 

IMG_8553.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

Sweet ride! Almost had a 2004 GTO as my first car back in spring of 2005 when I turned 16. Only problem was the two models they had left were both automatics so we walked. One day I'll scoop up a red or black 2006! 

12 hours ago, Blazelow said:

Rich, do you have a V?   Im trying to figure out if the V automatics have paddle shifters.

No, no V.  Just a CTS with all wheel drive. And it's a coupe.  But the sedans aren't much bigger.  But still plenty of go power. Never had an issue passing or accelerating.