Customer Service 866.965.0400

How would you revive these headlights?

dirtymarcus

Question

When my wife bought her car used a few years back it only had one issue.  The headlights looked like crap.  They are pitted and the clear is peeling.  I've done a basic headlight polish with my swirl killer a year or so ago and have just kept applying sealant to them to prevent further damage.  Shes finally complained about them so I want to fix them. How would you tackle these?  Obviously they need a wet sand but where should I start?  Also I've heard you have to reclear them once you stand them.  Is this true?  I've never had to was actually refinish a headlight so I dont want go screw them up, seeing as replacements are $400+ a pop.  

Might be hard to see but the tops of the lights are the main issue.  All the speckles are pitting and chipping of the plastic coating.  

20190126_124209.jpg

20190126_124225.jpg

20190126_124247.jpg

20190126_124323.jpg

13 answers to this question

What grit do you think I should start with?  They feel pretty rough and if you look closely you can see the surface is actually crinkling and on the edges the surface is flaking away.  Almost seems like whoever owned the car previously wiped the headlights with a solvent.  

2 hours ago, dirtymarcus said:

What grit do you think I should start with?  They feel pretty rough and if you look closely you can see the surface is actually crinkling and on the edges the surface is flaking away.  Almost seems like whoever owned the car previously wiped the headlights with a solvent.  

Like anything...do a test spot. It shouldn’t take much to knock them down. If you use a heavier grit, you just make more work for yourself to bring them back. 

If you have Adams Revive I would try that first using a drill and foam applicator.
If that does not do it I have used 1000 grit but most of the time sanding does not seem to last real long. It is basically sun damage to most headlights from the UV rays.

According to how soft the lenses are you might want to consider putting on a XPEL or similar brand Headlight Kit once you have them cleaned up and then seal over the film.  I have only done it once and it worked very well and the film was easy to install on the headlights.   As @shane@detailedreflections always reminds us, least aggressive first for the sanding, polish, etc.,.  not only will it save you time and effort, it will also prevent additional damage.

15 hours ago, BluedogGMC said:

If you have Adams Revive I would try that first using a drill and foam applicator.
If that does not do it I have used 1000 grit but most of the time sanding does not seem to last real long. It is basically sun damage to most headlights from the UV rays.

I have revive but this damage for sure needs to be wetsanded.  You can actually feel the texture on the lights.

15 hours ago, RayS said:

According to how soft the lenses are you might want to consider putting on a XPEL or similar brand Headlight Kit once you have them cleaned up and then seal over the film.  I have only done it once and it worked very well and the film was easy to install on the headlights.   As @shane@detailedreflections always reminds us, least aggressive first for the sanding, polish, etc.,.  not only will it save you time and effort, it will also prevent additional damage.

The XPEL is a good idea.  That was my main concern post sanding that the damage was going to come back.  I had thought I saw some people had clearcoated headlights after refinishing them.  I tihnk the film would be a good alternative.

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I do have the ability to cut and sell ppf in kit form if someone needs it. Even if it’s just for the headlights. 

Nice. What about... say... full hood size for a 2013 MKX? I bought a kit off of Amazon. I don't care how much they say the stuff stretches the shape is wonky. Can't find anyone that sells more than 18" wide in bulk. I can wrap the whole hood and cut the stuff myself much easier than trying to make the pre-cut fit....

Since I didn’t want to put a clear coat on mine, I had Xpel put on them. I had planned to do it myself but it was a decent price to have it done. So I just had my shop do it. No issues. Can’t tell it’s there.  It’s only been a year, so no long term feedback, but I don’t expect any issues. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, dirtymarcus said:

I start with 800 wet, but have had to go to 600 dry, then 800, 1500, 3000, then polish.  Use LOTS of tape to cover the paint, and double layer any areas that you touch (the lip on the bumper below the lights).  And you may need to retape during the process - tape is waaayy cheaper than a repaint!.  Use a spray bottle to run the 'slurry' off the surface.

I use a Trim coating for protection.

14 hours ago, dirtymarcus said:

Yea I'm want to pull the lights off.  Pretty sure I'll have to pull the bumper off but not a huge issue for me.  My biggest issue is getting the car long enough to do the work lol. 

Tell me about it. It took two days to paint correct one of our vehicles and you'd think that I stranded someone on a deserted island... :)