Customer Service 866.965.0400

Road Paint Removal

SS LeadFoot

Question

Well about 3 years ago the wife ran over some road paint. I tried the basic stuff like clay bar and APC but was always afraid of doing anything more. Well yesterday I tried nail polish remover. It worked great! I tried some small areas under the car first and seem to do well. I then used a paper towel and wet it with the nail polish. I let it sit for about 10-15 seconds and most of it would wipe off. The parts that wouldn't I used a credit card to peel off. I got about 98% of it off. Took about an hour and a half. The before shots are not the god. It was all the way down the door and under the wheel wells. I then gave her a foam bath and a good wipe down. next up add some polish.

post-9882-0-01945100-1412773951_thumb.jpg

post-9882-0-87606000-1412773975_thumb.jpg

IMG_20190616_135348.jpg

IMG_20190616_135345.jpg

IMG_20190616_135351.jpg

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Just so I'm understanding correctly:

you just put nail polish remover on a paper towel and then you held that paper towel on the paint splatter?

And if you needed more than that you used a credit card as a scraper?

Yup that is correct. I didn't hold it there long 10-15 seconds max. Wife had two kinds of nail polish remover. One said 100% acetone and he one I used was regular strength. It doest strip the polish off the car so you will have to polish that area again.

Thanks for the info on the nail polish remover, I hadn't thought of that one before.   Instead of using a credit card, I recommend using a plastic razor blade with some lube.  If you don't already have some in your detailing kit, they work great for tree sap and many other stuck on items.  They are available from most big box retail stores, corner pharmacies and online stores for less than $10 per 100.