Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pad Conditioning Brush

Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

Question

8 answers to this question

I don't have the Adam's one but I have a similar one. I have gotten pretty rough when cleaning pads with it and haven't noticed any damage. It helps get dried polish and compound out and it also helps work the APC in while cleaning with warm water. 

13 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

I don't have the Adam's one but I have a similar one. I have gotten pretty rough when cleaning pads with it and haven't noticed any damage. It helps get dried polish and compound out and it also helps work the APC in while cleaning with warm water. 

I was looking into getting an air compressor for several different uses including blowing out the pads between panels.

How many pads do you go through for say an SUV? and how do you brush your pads out during the correction process?

14 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

I was looking into getting an air compressor for several different uses including blowing out the pads between panels.

How many pads do you go through for say an SUV? and how do you brush your pads out during the correction process?

That would probably work well too. I've only done a quick finish polish on an Equinox. I only used one pad. I definitely don't use enough pads as I don't really have that many yet lol. I have done my sedans and only used one of each color.

I usually hit it with the brush when it starts to dust. If I use the microfiber pad, I'll brush it out after almost every square since the fibers lay down so quick. If you're asking how I brush them, I just hold the polisher between my legs and do a quick crosshatch on the pad to remove any loose dust.

1 minute ago, Bscott94 said:

That would probably work well too. I've only done a quick finish polish on an Equinox. I only used one pad. I definitely don't use enough pads as I don't really have that many yet lol. I have done my sedans and only used one of each color.

I usually hit it with the brush when it starts to dust. If I use the microfiber pad, I'll brush it out after almost every square since the fibers lay down so quick. If you're asking how I brush them, I just hold the polisher between my legs and do a quick crosshatch on the pad to remove any loose dust.

Thanks, Brandon! No, you answered my question. Here's what I under stood: You brush it when it starts to dust, unless you use the microfiber in which case can be more often because the fibers lay down easier.

I prefer cleaning with air, if it is available.  As you mentioned, there is less chance of damaging the pads with the air.  I use the brush when I am mobile, and it does a good on flat faced pads and waffle pads.  I have some pads that are cross-cut and the brush chews them up.

I clean foam pads after 2-3 section passes to remove the dried polish and polishing 'residue, keeping the pad more 'like new' longer.  For MF pads I clean after ever section pass, and also swap pads each pass, to keep them from heating up to much.  I just replace my Rupes backing plate after getting lazy with MF pads - worked 4 sections, only stopping for a quick brush of the fibers, and I melted the center of the backing plate.

I usually use about 5 pads per vehicle, and save older pads for below the beltline.  I will often polish the bottom part (below the beltline) first, as that is the part I like doing the least.     

5 minutes ago, brihvac said:

I just wash my pad out real good with water and it looks almost as good as new.

That works fine when all the polishing is done, but the replies above were for 'on the fly' pad cleaning while you are still polishing the vehicle.  

Once I finish with a polishing pad I spray them with APC and place them in bucket face down, with a upside down Grit Guard to keep them under water.  Once I am completely done with all the polishing I spin on the Gamma Seal lid and let them soak for a day or so.  To clean them I spray with a pad cleaner, APC, or MF detergent, and scrub them on the Grit Guard to remove any remaining polish.  Then rinse until the water is clear and place them face down on the Grit Guard to dry for a few days.

And I have finally found a way to get a sealant pad clean - place in a container with Tide Free & Clear (full strength) for a few day, and it will rinse clean!     

53 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Once I finish with a polishing pad I spray them with APC and place them in bucket face down, with a upside down Grit Guard to keep them under water.  Once I am completely done with all the polishing I spin on the Gamma Seal lid and let them soak for a day or so.     

What a great idea.   I have a couple of 1 gallon buckets and this will work perfect for cleaning the pads.  I need to get more pads since I just moved to a Swirl Killer and the old stuff is not compatible and they were getting worn down anyway.  One of the things I want to do is make sure the new pads are cared for as much possible.

My normal plan of attack is three pads for an average vehicle.  One for each side and one to cover the hood and tail  On small cars I have managed to do the entire vehicle with one pad and on the Suburban it was 6 pads.  I tend to stay away from using the brush only because I've had a couple of lower quality pads that got chewed up, so I found other methods.