Customer Service 866.965.0400

How-to and more in depth topics

shane@detailedreflections

Question

In my post on furry interiors, it got me thinking of doing more in depth write ups and images on certain processes and how we tackle them. 

With that, what topics would you guys like to see covered in how we do things and I’ll expose our process?

One suggestion was...pet hair. 

But what other topics?  The world is your oyster as far as topics go. We cover a lot. I can’t promise a timeline for each subject as it depends on when we get a vehicle that fits that need. 

I know next weekend we have another nasty interior coming.

If I know in advance, I’ll set up photo/video and work it all out to put a detailed post together for various topics. 

10 answers to this question

Hi Shane,

I always appreciate your write ups and refer to the ones you have done before.  There is a particular area that I struggle with and have never got to a level or process that seems to really work. For the lady’s, please don’t take this sexist, but it is mostly with vehicles women drive.

The cleaning and conditioning of the steering wheel and to a lessor extent the arm rest where it is grabbed to close the door.  I regularly get vehicles where the primary driver uses hand lotion that sticks to the steering wheel.  While I can usually get the areas cleaned, some them are left with a discolored area and sometimes with a sticky feel.

i recently did one that the person did a lot of yard work and the wheel was filthy, but it cleaned up without any issue.  This leads me to believe that it is the oils in the lotions causing the difficulty and not just the fact that it is dirty.

@RayS you make some important observations in the difference between male owned and female owned vehicles. 

The first thing to recognize is that sometimes the discoloration is just that. It’s discolored and can’t be fixed without dyes and that’s a whole different creature we don’t play with. 

So we actually attack them the same way, regardless. You can use an APC and a stiffer bristle brush to help loosen and mobilize the byproducts left behind. The APC is a degreaser so it’s good at breaking up the oils. Generally speaking a normal interior detailer sometimes isn’t strong enough for those oils since they tend to be older and caked on. 

You’re going to need a variety of brushes (start least aggressive to most). And a lot of towels. It takes time. 

That sticky feel you mention, the APC should take care of it. Keep a bottle mixed at a little higher concentration for the tough stuff. Don’t use it all the time. But sometimes you just need...more. We’ve even used the APC we use straight on a towel to scrub stubborn spots. Not often, but we do.

2 hours ago, RayS said:

Hi Shane,

I always appreciate your write ups and refer to the ones you have done before.  There is a particular area that I struggle with and have never got to a level or process that seems to really work. For the lady’s, please don’t take this sexist, but it is mostly with vehicles women drive.

The cleaning and conditioning of the steering wheel and to a lessor extent the arm rest where it is grabbed to close the door.  I regularly get vehicles where the primary driver uses hand lotion that sticks to the steering wheel.  While I can usually get the areas cleaned, some them are left with a discolored area and sometimes with a sticky feel.

i recently did one that the person did a lot of yard work and the wheel was filthy, but it cleaned up without any issue.  This leads me to believe that it is the oils in the lotions causing the difficulty and not just the fact that it is dirty.

You can get the same 'makeup' type residue from golfers that use sunscreen.  The Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner works good, but if you are using it at full strength be careful around the white markings on the stalks and on the steering wheel - I have removed some of the markings in the past. 

I would also recommend a microfiber glove for cleaning steering wheels.  I put on a nitrile glove, then the MF glover over it, put the cleaner on the MF glove, and work away around the steering wheel. 

On 11/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

But what other topics?  The world is your oyster as far as topics go. We cover a lot. I can’t promise a timeline for each subject as it depends on when we get a vehicle that fits that need. 

Shane, seeing your use of a steamer is something that really interests me. I'd love to see how you use it on an engine bay, or when you use it on an exterior. I have been debating getting a small household type steamer and using it on the vehicles. However, seeing as I rarely get detailing customers and our vehicles are somewhat well maintained, I have postponed that.

23 hours ago, RayS said:

Hi Shane,

Ray, that's a good observation. I've noticed it too with my wife's car. I think the use of make up also can add to the discoloration. Shane and Michael have provided good options for trying to attack those. I've had very very good luck with the All Purpose Interior Cleaning Gel - I also like to dilute this one and use it with care. I think it's becoming my favorite cleaner for everything right now. I use it in the house, on shoes, on clothes if I have trouble with a stain, and in the car.

@Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin check out the McCollouch MC1385 as an entry level steamer. It’s the same one we started with and was sold to a member here. It works really well for the money and can be gotten for under $200. It may even be cheaper with the holidays. 

The steamer we use is a Vapor Chief 135. It gives us the ability to fill while it’s hot (which is limited functionality if you plan correctly). But it also lets us mix chemical in the line and dispense (we’ve used rinseless and steam before). Most commonly we keep APC in it. 

The steamer we use also has a much higher pressure. The downside is that the steamer we use costs about ten times the McCollouch unit. 

Next time we have it out (Sunday we have a nasty interior so it’ll be in use with the extractor and a ton of other chencials) I’ll take some images of how we use it on the interior. 

12 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

@Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin check out the McCollouch MC1385 as an entry level steamer. It’s the same one we started with and was sold to a member here. It works really well for the money and can be gotten for under $200. It may even be cheaper with the holidays. 

The steamer we use is a Vapor Chief 135. It gives us the ability to fill while it’s hot (which is limited functionality if you plan correctly). But it also lets us mix chemical in the line and dispense (we’ve used rinseless and steam before). Most commonly we keep APC in it. 

The steamer we use also has a much higher pressure. The downside is that the steamer we use costs about ten times the McCollouch unit. 

Next time we have it out (Sunday we have a nasty interior so it’ll be in use with the extractor and a ton of other chencials) I’ll take some images of how we use it on the interior. 

Awesome. thanks Shane. I have been interested in extractors too. but from what I can tell it seems like it may be smarter to start with a steamer. Would you agree with that?

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Awesome. thanks Shane. I have been interested in extractors too. but from what I can tell it seems like it may be smarter to start with a steamer. Would you agree with that?

You ask questions that are difficult to answer without more knowledge of your goals. 

An extractor is an $800+ investment. You say you’ve considered one but are you looking at an extractor or a carpet cleaner?  My wife uses a carpet cleaner in the house but when it’s a mess, she asks for me to drag the extractor in. They pull a lot out. 

For us it’s essential. But we also try to provide top quality products out of the shop. If you use it a lot, it’s more than worth it. If you’re just sprucing things up...it’s probably not worth the investment. 

You can do a lot with a steamer and a shop vac. It just takes time to develop the process that works for you.