Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trying to remove a stubborn swirl mark by hand

S4 dude

Question

So to get to the point, I noticed one swirl mark (about 4x4") on the hood on my new Audi S4 right after the first wash. Luckily I bought Adam's essential detail kit a few weeks before delivery. Anyways, I clayed the the area and followed with swirl and haze remover - applied with the orange side of the flip pad. Basically I followed Adam's instructions in the how to video. I must be doing something wrong though because the swirl looks worse now :mad:. Adam doesn't really mention much in the video about pressure or direction during application. He just said that it's a non abrasive polish so you don't have to worry about direction. I was using medium pressure with a back and forth motion. Oh and I spritzt the pad with detail spray before applying SHR btw.

Can someone give me a few tips? I've searched and haven't found any good tutorials specifically about hand polishing/swirl removal. Thanks!

img0010dg.jpg

44429270.jpg

15 answers to this question

How long were you polishing with the S&HR?

How much S&HR were you using?

Did you follow it up with the Revive Polish?

The more info you give, the better. It's hard to give you direction when we don't know EXACTLY what was done

Did you follow it up with the Revive Polish?

This is a very common mistake, people assume that SHR is a one step product, but anytime you use SHR it needs to be followed with a finer polish. Revive by hand or FMP by machine.

Keep in mind theres only so much you can acheive by hand... the machine is capable of doing 6800 oscillations per minute.... your hand... not even a hundred after a full pot of coffee and a 6 pack of Red Bull. A reduction in the swirls is possible, but removal is not generally something you'll get by hand easily.

You might be a prime candidate for our Brilliant Glaze... you can reduce it with the SHR and Revive Combo, then mask the remaining portion of it with the glaze.

This is a very common mistake, people assume that SHR is a one step product, but anytime you use SHR it needs to be followed with a finer polish. Revive by hand or FMP by machine.

Keep in mind theres only so much you can acheive by hand... the machine is capable of doing 6800 oscillations per minute.... your hand... not even a hundred after a full pot of coffee and a 6 pack of Red Bull. A reduction in the swirls is possible, but removal is not generally something you'll get by hand easily.

You might be a prime candidate for our Brilliant Glaze... you can reduce it with the SHR and Revive Combo, then mask the remaining portion of it with the glaze.

I actually tried Revive first to see if it would be enough. Then I went on the SHR/Revive combo. I tried two methods:

1. Applied SHR (about at dime sized blob) to orange app and worked it into finish. Then wiped with super plush polishing towel. Next I applied Revive (another dime blob) to blue app and worked into finish. Wiped again with plush towel and checked results -repeated.
  2. Using the same amounts of polish as in the first method - Applied SHR then Revive directly on top of the SHR and wiped with super plush towel.

I can't say for sure how many minutes I polished before checking my results each time. Overall I spent about an hour polishing. It sounds like I wasn't using a fast enough motion or maybe even enough time. How much force should I apply to the pad while polishing?

BTW just checked out the Brilliant Glaze...looks like it could solve the problem without resorting to machine polishing.

Hand polishing is probably not the best option for your situation. It is doubtful it made the surface any worse, there was probably not a drastic improvement though.

Audi's have a hard clearcoat, sometimes swirls are difficult to remove even with a PC.

That Audi clear is hard as rock and you will not make any appreciable difference by hand. You will need at least a PC and a lot of time and patience to correct that. Plus proper wash technique to keep it from getting like that again.

By hand? Patients, Time & SHR.

Easy way.... buy a PC and spend about 10-15 minutes on that area.

Also Revive Polish can help that too. I got a lot of my swirls out by hand with Revive, keeping in mind this was a few months after using my PC on it so the swirls weren't bad.

I wonder if he got the car with some kind of dark 'filler' on it, which was removed with SHR? I got my HHR used, and they used some kind of black wax gunk on it.

I hope not! :P It's only a month old...Decided to go hard on it with Revive and got some decent results. I attached a few pics (taken in my garage). The swirl mark is slightly visible in the last two pics. Interested to see how it looks in direct sunlight.

img0019ni.jpg

img0020nf.jpg

img0029di.jpg

img0030kh.jpg

Archived