Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Chrome Stick Ons

lakemarykid

Question

Well on the new truck I purchased, the previous owner fantsied the tasteless "lick em and stick em" chrome mirror covers and handle covers. The truck has painted to match handles and mirror caps underneath these. I tried a hair dryer, but it was not up for the task. I was told a heat gun would blister the paint underneath? How would you all go about removing these?

Pic for reference:

good4.jpg

-Curtis-

________

SILVER SURFER VAPORIZER DIMENSIONS

10 answers to this question

Maybe wait for a really hot day, get the chrome pieces in the sun, then also put some goo-gone in a small sprayer bottle and shoot it in behind the chrome pieces? Let it work in a bit and just pull slowly and gently?

I'm not sure if it would work, but that's one approach I'd try. :cheers:

Is there any type of gap where you can spray Goo Gone into and let it sit for a bit?

The other option you might want to use is.... Take a center punch ($5 local hardware store) and crack the plastic and take them off in pieces. It will also allow what ever adhesive remover you use to penetrate from different angels.

I prefer Goo Gone, but there are many others.

I think the handles aren't too bad but the mirrors are horrible.

Putco is the company that usually makes stuff like that for Trucks. Maybe look them up and give them a call and see what they have to say about the matter.

I agree with everyone about goo gone. I would think you would mess up the covers before you messed up your paint with a heat gun but it may warp them possibly. Im sure there is a safe and easy way to remove these it just has to be found. try searching on google or even youtube to find a video maybe.

I'm going to give the goo-gone a shot. Going to squirt some in there tomorrow and let it soak and do it again Saturday morning and then go after it in the afternoon.

-Curtis-

If you do the Goo Gone you have to get it off. If you let it soak on the paint it will probably eat through the wax and maybe the clear. Its strong stuff.

If you do the Goo Gone you have to get it off. If you let it soak on the paint it will probably eat through the wax and maybe the clear. Its strong stuff.

:iagree:

There is nothing you can do to get them off. :wink: You should just send the truck to me. :D:D:D:D

I would use a heat gun just be careful not to let it sit in one spot too long.

On a side note when it gets down around 30 below those fall off. Maybe if you get the metal very cold the adhesives will fail. I know when they fall off because of the cold the plastic/metal part just comes off clean leaving the adhesive behind. Not sure if the cold would work but if you are having trouble getting them off why not give it a try. The worst that happens is you waste a half hour.

Archived