Customer Service 866.965.0400

MSW & BG VS Americana

atoy

Question

Ok I turned on a little heat in the garage tonight and gave the grey girl her second coat of MSW. I'll wipe her down again in the AM and slick her up with some Brilliant Glaze. Unfortunately we have to attend a funeral in the afternoon or I'd give her a coat of Americana but that may have to wait til Sunday.

Ok how about 2 coats of MSW one of BG then top it all off with a coat of Americana?

Problems?

As long as you allow the MSW to cure the full time in between applications. To be on the safe side you'd be looking at a 3-5 day project.

If it were me doing it I'd do:

Day 1: MSW

Day 2: Rewipe

Day 3: MSW Coat 2

Day 4: Rewipe

Day 5: BG & Americana

If by some chance you do it in 3 and the MSW does not fully cure it wont look very good and you will have wasted that much product.

That's how I, PERSONALLY, would do it.

Well I was actually thinking of doing it over a couple weeks as time allowed. We bought a new to us Vette and I've already Clayed it,polished and put 1 coat of MSW on it. I was going to put a second coat of MSW on then try and do the BG and Americana on same day. That should get her through the winter mostly.

If I am correct in my understanding, think minimum 12 hrs. for a cure at approx. 70 degrees and moderate humidity. I would expect that any reactions (curing going on) would take longer if the temps are cooler. I'm not sure how the humidity factors in - does more humidity make the cure take longer, or perhaps shorter - or does it have any effect at all? Dylan, can we get some clarification?

I only have once had a slight haze the next day (in a small area) after applying MSW. I live near the beach, so it does not get very warm (80 degrees max) and there is always a fair bit of humidity, so it's pretty forgiving, in my opinion. My rule (as I was advised) is to put it on really thin. Doesn't seem to take a lot, and it holds up near the beach really well. This is THE product for me, as my HHR lives outside. (of course, I sometimes top it with Americana - well after it's cured.

If i remember what read on the label 12 hours min. So I did MSW then ~14 hours later re wiped and did B. Glaze. Wiped after an hour or so then a coat of Americana. She looked good. Sorry no pics , What a dufus.

If I am correct in my understanding, think minimum 12 hrs. for a cure at approx. 70 degrees and moderate humidity. I would expect that any reactions (curing going on) would take longer if the temps are cooler. I'm not sure how the humidity factors in - does more humidity make the cure take longer, or perhaps shorter - or does it have any effect at all? Dylan, can we get some clarification?

MSW takes 24 hours to FULLY cure. I would think 100% humidity would make it take longer to cure, while 0% would let it cure faster.

(long story short below **) Hey guys, i know the question is not about BW but where does that all fit in. I brought my car to a car show over the summer and did a 90% paint correction on it. Prepped the car with some alcohol and then hit it with 2 passes of S/H then 2 passes of FMP and then i applied the MSW. At this point the car already looked insanely good. So i gave it one pass with the BW and it popped like crazy. You could not look directly at the car in the sunshine without squinting.

**So long story short, where does the BW fit in to all this, if at all. Under BG, and then americana, or over BG and under americana. To be honest i`ve used both the BG and the BW over MSW and they were all identical, the BG being a bit deeper the BW being a but more shinny.

Thanks, sorry for long post.

The reason i:m thinking over bg and then under americana is because i dont think the bw will last very long under bg so i figured over and the americana would help hold in the bw as well, but then again, thats why i'm asking.

It seems most detailer types will agree with what manufacturers recommend for their products that waxes go on top of sealers but not vice versa. Once you understand the difference in ingredients and purposes between a wax and a sealer, it makes perfect sense.

I've learned that MSW is a sealer even though it has "wax" in it's product name. The basic process I adhere to is the following:

Clean It

Clay It

Correct It

Polish It

Glaze It (optional, depending on color and condition)

Seal It (to lock in your work)

Shine It (optional if your choice of sealer isn't glossy and slippery enough!)

So, BG would always come first and then you could do either BW or Americana over top. I'd probably go with Americana based on what I've read while reserving BW for quick touchups and "in-betweens".

- Darryl

I dont mean to highjack the thread but can someone tell me what do you think about a coat of MSW followed by Americana and finally another MSW. I believe that this way Americana's depth will last younger since its covered by the MSW and the protection will be double. Please correct me if im wrong

Hi Chris.. Some Cars are garage queen, some are dd.. want to have all in one product due to shipping cost and shipping time.. product will be more than double the cost and arrive more than 2mos when ship here.. there's a dealer here in our country but doesn't carry all products. i think because tha market is not that big for such product..

Hi Dylan.. BOTH.. Durability and Shine.. Advantages and disadvantages of both combination

Got ya, really want to pick and choose here b/c you can't have the best of everything (obviously)

The combination of BG and Americana is going to give you the deepest, wettest look on the finish, MSW will give you the best protection from a single application and it does have a really nice shine to it, just lacks that depth.

Archived