Flex vs. PC: How to select the right machine for you

Team Adam's

Question

• Answers 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You won't be dissapointed with the PC.

In this pic you can see where the door was not done and the quarter panel was swirl removed and polished with the PC, no sealent or wax.

IMG_0977.jpg

On the hood there were scratches that I couldn't remove using a drill and 4" pads and since the orange peel is heavy I decided to wetsand. The left side of the hood was polished but on the right, the last two rafters in the reflection is where I wet sanded 1000 up to 3000 grit then polished, green, orange, white with the PC. In short the PC can do! The fender is still wet sanded waiting to be polished.

2013-01-14_14-54-31_472.jpg

Polished fender orange peel removed.

2013-01-14_14-58-51_769.jpg

Now, after all that I will probably be adding a flex 3401 to my tool list. Why? You ask. Because in less then a month since I received my PC I've polished 4 cars and I'm working my full time job almost 60 hours a week so I need to get done faster. Also I invited a friend over to polish his car for his birthday and having two polishers would have saved us enough time to go out for beers afterwards.

:cheers:

Edited by RLucky82

First - that post was not to encourage anyone to wet sand their paint. Its very risky! but with the scratches and dozens of rock chips that aren't seen in the photos it was worth the risk for me. plus I have spray guns and can repaint if needed.

second - that was kind of my point to show that the pc can do an awesome job and if I had BOTH then we would have had the time for beers, because he could have been helping. :) Unless you plan on doing this every weekend and inviting friends over just so you can show off your talent on their cars (practice) its kind of hard for to justify the time saving/price increase of the Flex.

Edited by RLucky82

I have both now. Have yet to use the Flex yet but will be within the next week or two. Been using the PC for a few years now. I don't really like the vibration much anymore so I will be mostly using the PC with 4" pads for smaller areas.

Edited by Chuckkilo3

I love my PC and it is plenty for me. I only have one car I'm currently caring for and it's paint has never been in bad shape.

If I had several cars to correct or cars in bad shape that I needed to correct I would probably get a FLEX but the PC is great for occasional (twice a year) corrections on a garage kept car.

I think it really depends on how much time you will spend w/ the machine.

100% dead on. I maintain 2 garaged-kept cars - twice a year I pull out the PC for some light polishing and sealant treatment. (They are swirl-free with proper bucket washing, etc.) If I was doing this for a living and/or was correcting paint frequently, the flex would be a more viable option for me.

Fantastically composed, and illustrated Dylan! You are one well-spoken specifying minded buddy. I'm regarded to have you on our group my companion. 

Without a doubt, the Flex/ Severe Swirl Remover/ Green Pad framework will be accessible quite, exceptionally soon. . . . 

Assuming that acknowledging the Flex, or the Porter Cable, the choice is simple: Both! The Flex does not swap the Porter Cable, and is more an apparatus used to adjust swirled -scratched completions the PC essentially can't amend. 

You won't get the Flex, and abruptly quit utilizing the PC. Truth be told, you will be one BIG step closer to PERFECTION, and utilize the PC to gem or coat the paint all the more! 

i believe that PC started producing these in China (or somewhere else) which is why Adam's no longer carries them.  Someone else with more knowledge will probably chime in and give you more details.  

Josh is correct, Porter Cable moved some of the manufacturing to China, so Adam's moved to the Colorado-made Cyclo.