Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner too shiny?

DCRANER

Question

For some reason my Leather Conditioner is winding up with a shiney finish on the leather / vinyl. Previous times it had the expected mat finish.

I wonder if maybe I'm cleaning the red pad the wrongway, or maybe rubbing it on too hard and having an effect like polishing something.

Seems odd but I must be doing something wrong. :willy:

AH, that makes sense. All those areas are the same material. I used to have an excellent article about the new plastic process from just before the C6 hit dealerships... very informative, but I can't find it for some reason.

Anyways, try the over application idea and see what it does for you. Other people have also reported liking Super VRT on the vettes panels. Obviously its gonna shine a tad more, but maybe test it in a small area and see what you think?

Whoa, my shiney problem is with my 03 Avalanche. :willy:

It was followed up with conditioner, but it seemed to me that the conditioner was absorbing unevenly, or it was my error in application. I know the residue wipes off easily, because I would be wetting my finger while driving and rubbing out spots. The easiest spot to distinguish with the conditioner was the steering wheel, it would look great for about 2 days, then it would look all uneven. Keep in mind I have not had any of these issues with the G8.

It was followed up with conditioner, but it seemed to me that the conditioner was absorbing unevenly, or it was my error in application. I know the residue wipes off easily, because I would be wetting my finger while driving and rubbing out spots. The easiest spot to distinguish with the conditioner was the steering wheel, it would look great for about 2 days, then it would look all uneven. Keep in mind I have not had any of these issues with the G8.

Steering wheel is coated leather so an uneven finish is odd there. Obviously the act of handling it will cause it to wear off, but it should be consistent across both cars. The door panels are different simply b/c they're differnet materials, but the steering wheel should behave the same. Hmmm...

I find that using MORE of the conditioner than you think is needed on the vette will help, kind of over-apply, then remove the excess with a dry towel. Obviously I don't own a vette so the lasting condition of it I'm not gonna be privy to. Anytime I detail one its gone a few hours after I finish, but I do understand what you mean by the uneven absorption.

AH, that makes sense. All those areas are the same material. I used to have an excellent article about the new plastic process from just before the C6 hit dealerships... very informative, but I can't find it for some reason.

Anyways, try the over application idea and see what it does for you. Other people have also reported liking Super VRT on the vettes panels. Obviously its gonna shine a tad more, but maybe test it in a small area and see what you think?

I had an uneveness issue on my C5 dash. I just put more on it and buffed with a towel. Seem to work.

The uneveness is probably a result of the dash not being "primed" by the conditioner. The conditioner is getting absorbed by the dash so you need to keep applying until the dash has had it fill.

I agree with Dan, my G8 took 3 to 4 applications of leather conditioner before it looked even. The shineyness goes away after a day or so but would turn blotchy especially on the dash and door panels, the seats to a lesser degree. I would just slather another coat on--I use a red UFO pad for the seats and the black rectangular foam pads that I think were for tires but work great for door panels/ dashes. A side benefit of the Leather Conditioner is that it does not seem to attract dust, the car interior stays cleaner longer!

For the panels and dash I suggest using the super VRT (more of a satin finish than the old VRT) on a microfiber(cheap costo or all purpose towel), wiping down to a matte finish, than going over it with another towel that has been lightly spritzed with Waterless Wash.

I have yet to find a material on any of the cars that I maintain where the WW does not work well. It has decent cleaning ability and no gloss enhancers. The cleaners will help turn down the shine and level out any unevenness. Just lightly spritz the towel.

Hope the guys at Adams dont mind my unconventional suggestion.

I can tell you it looks like that old crappy greasey Armorall, really very shiney for some reason.

Take a MF towel and spritz it with the leather CLEANER (lightly). Wipe down the affected surface and tell us what you think.

Any area I found to shiny I did this to and the results were great IMO.

I've never had that problem, but try this.

After you put it on with the red pad, take a M/F towel and go over it. The towel should dull it up.

:2thumbs:This is what I do!:2thumbs:

You have to buff the shine off a bit sometimes.

Chris

Archived