Customer Service 866.965.0400

washing all types of my mf towels

bagged00

Question

hey guys gotta question. i got some of the mf towels do i wash them all the same way? waffle waterless wash towel, big white waffle drying towel, glass towel, and the double plush towel. i ran across junkman way to wash.

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

so can i wash them all together and like this? also can i wash my wash mitt in there too? Or is there really no need to wash it?

22 answers to this question

awww....dont worry. To be conservative, I wait sometimes until I have a bunch of MF towels to wash in Woolite so I dont waste water and energy. They seem to be fine. To me-dirty is dirty.:cheers:

Guess what-I had my applicators sitting in a bucket of APC for FOUR DAYS. I finally got them rinsed out and drying. :o

My question is how LONG should I let the dirty MF's (just realized that kinda looks bad) sit before they should be washed?

I have tended to do 2 things (both are probably very bad, and I should be ostricized from the board :loser: ):

1. Put said dirty towels in a bucket to presoak with Microrestore or APC, and then forget about them so they sit for well over a week that way.

2. Put the towels on a shelving unit with full intentions of getting them into a bucket to presoak, then forgetting about them for MORE than a week where they collect even more dirt/dust from sitting out in the open.

- hangs head in shame - <HANGS shame in head>

If the towel comes out of the drawer and goes on the car for whatever reason It's considered dirty and goes in the dirty MF bag when I'm done using it.

I haven't been smart enough or consistent enough , or anal enough to specialize certain towels for certain product although i do have paint contact towels, door jam and interior towels, under hood towels and wheel towels by towel quaility and to some extent color.

I have a separate bag for MF and one for regular cotton towels.

I've also collected enough towels the last 2 years to do 3 or 4 cars before I run low. so once or soa month I end up washing them. The last time I simply washed them all in one big load. i use generic Woolite and sometimes all. I also dried them on low heat this last time with no ill effect.

I have a clothes line in the back yard and in the garage. I find the garage is better as stuff falls from the trees and gets on the towels in the back yard.

little bits of leaf and stuff just STICKS to the towels and has to be removed so they don't scratch the cars.

Good towels are an investment and need to be taken care of appropriately.:2thumbs:

I tried the Tide Free & Gentle (he) yesterday, I thought the results were good :thumbsup:

Been washing my MF with Cheer(w/o fabric softener) and in the dryer (delicate/knits). have had no problems. they come out like new, but might start trying with the woolite and air dry.

I wash my Double Soft MF towels by them self, and the Great White and WCW towel and Glass Towels together. Your Wash pads you can hose off good when done using!:thumbsup:

What do you use to wash your Great White Drying Towel?

Ah, now on to the not-so-fun part of detailing - cleaning up the microfiber cloths. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about care of micro fiber cloth, from my point of view. (your mileage may vary...)

If you magically have any MF with greasy spots(like my old only-for-engine compartment cloths), then I would keep those separate and soak and wash them separately. Anything greasy is washed separately from my 'good' microfibers.

If Adam's comes out with some product that cleans MF better than what I use below, I will sure get me some of that. Until then...

I always presoak all my MF towels in a 5 gal bucket with 2 oz. of Micro-Restore. (load them up with water and Micro-Restore or unscented non-softener-non-bleach liquid detergent, add the towels (push em under) let em sit overnight or 24 hrs. I just want the detergents to have time to break down the waxes and other gunk on the MF. The 5 gal buckets sit out on the patio, unless it's real cold, in which case they may be inside. I think it works better when the bucket and water is room temp or above.

When I wash, I pull each cloth out of the bucket one at a time, wring them a little, and rub the cloth lightly against itself for any spots, then toss in the washer.

I wash them twice, first with Micro Restore and cheer, then either just water or MR the 2nd time. Someone else told me that they presoak their MF in a bucket with a splash of APC in it, and then wash them, and they come out clean. Haven't tried that combo yet, but it sounds promising.

I just started washing them twice and have been having very good luck, without any heavy pre-treating the spots with APC, which I USED to do. If it takes less effort and has the same results, I am all for it. I also dry them in the dryer, but only on super low temps, like skin temperature air. When in doubt, dry them cooler, not hotter.

If you are going to was the wash pads in the washer, keep them separate from the MF. Remember, those come in contact with your Dirty finish, not your clean finish,and may have some small grit embedded in the pads, which you certainly don't want to pass on to your Microfiber cloths which you use to wipe off your polish or wax!

Make sure you Don't use any liquid detergent with scent or fabric softener, or dry them in a dryer with dryer sheets or items that have had fabric softener on them. That stuff will get all over your nice microfibers and clog them up. Fabric softener or dryer sheets will wreck your microfibers. If you or your wife use them, maybe you should hang your microfibers up to dry and not use the dryer.

Archived