Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need a write up for Undercarraige

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Question

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I see WHEELS and Engine Bay write ups sticky'd and have searched (as far as my attention span allows) for a helpful thread regarding cleaning UNDER the car, but have come up snake eyes. :confused: This creates an urge for me to do one myself, but then again, I doubt I can talk my wife into taking photos for me while my big @$$ wiggles around under the car.

Owning a car that bottoms out when driving over a cigarette butt makes cleaning the underside even more fun. I don't plan to stick my car in any car shows anytime soon, but would love to kill some of the road grime and knock off any oil/grease that has found itself a new home where it doesn't belong. (have a trans leak that I'm in the process of having diagnosed).

I've searched Amazon and google for a 90* adapter for my pressure washer (only 2600psi) and have been brainstorming the build and install (into my driveway) of the undercarraige blaster like you get at the drive-thru wash places. I'd rather just hook something like the water-broom style attachment to my pressure washer and roll it around under the car a couple times a month.

Anyone have any experience or research regarding this issue that they'd care to share? Photos/links are not only encouraged, appreciated and welcome, but will earn you good forum Karma. :lol:

The underside of my car isn't all metal and steel, mostly plastic and hard to reach places. I bought the race ramp wheel cribs and I'm working on getting the ramps to match. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs, not looking forward to lying under the car for 6 hours with 100 rags. But, it that's what it takes, fine.

Is APC the best thing to use? or are the other products (Adam's preferred, but open to other ideas). Are there any 90* pressure washer adapters out there?

thanks in advance to anyone offering help.

6 answers to this question

Bob, I've got mine on jack stands right now. Tires off. Doing the wheel wells and undercarrige. I'm 5'8 and 180. It's a pain! 100 rags and I'm using APC to clean. Then using SVRT for big areas of plastic and IOS for tougher places. Compressed air helps. It blows the APC and dirt out of cracks and bolts. Why? Who's going to see? My wife thinks I'm nuts. :willy:

Good luck.

I clean my undercarriage using a lawn sprinkler. Just get a small circular sprinkler and place it under the car. Turn the hose of full blast and pull the sprinkler under your car a couple times. Some people also drive over the sprinkler a few times (be careful of the hose). You would be amazed how much gunk comes out from under the car using this method. I have a 350Z and it is also very low.

Guest Gone & Forgotten
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9520

APC works very well, an old sock on one hand to dip in the bucket of APC and water mix and a terry cloth towel in the other to dry.

My car's parked on carpet to make it a bit more comfy while lying under there.

I read your thread a few mins prior to posting this one (note the reply in your thread). I doubt I'd spend the time to make mine look anything near what yours looks like. If I do get mine looking that good, I'm parking on mirrors from now on! Even at Wal-Mart - I'll take mirrors out after I park, lie them around the bottom of the car and turn on the LED's while I get my shop on.

Peter - doubt I'll get to mine. Even tho I just opened the Race Ramps wheel cribs, I doubt I'll get to use them this weekend. I'm doing both belts, tensioners and idler pulleys as well. BUT... not before I change out the wife's Catalytic Converter on her bucket.

Archived