Customer Service 866.965.0400

What am I doing wrong here...?

Grubrunner

Question

If you look carefully at the pic below of the wheel/tire of my Chevy Colorado, you'll see spots on the tire where it looks like Adam's VRT did not hold. This was the same on every tire. The tire in the pic below was the worst as the VRT clinged itself to about [at best] 30-percent of the tire. It's hard to see in the pic but almost the entire RHS of that tire just didn't want to come to the VRT party.

Why is that?

The tires have about 2K on them as I purchased them brand new around August of 2010. I've never, till this day, had any tire dressing on them of any kind. Just washed and dried it the "normal" method.

The cleaning process [done two days ago] prior to VRT application was as follows -

Non Adam's car wash

Scrubbed with a tire/wheel brush while car wash's suds were still tacked on

Hosed off thoroughly with a trickle of water

Generously sprayed Adam's All Purpose Cleaner soon thereafter

Scrubbed again with a tire/wheel brush

Hosed again with a stream [pressure] from an ordinary garden nozzle

Wiped any stading water off [immediately] with quality MF towel

Given one application with Adam's Super VRT Tire Dressing soaked into an Adam's VRT Dressing Sponge and repeated the application immediately on all four wheels

Looked great for about 15-20 mins [tops] and then the void spots appeared and stand as you see it to this day. The picture was snapped about an hour after the deatailing was completed.

Now I know it's NOT Adam's Super VRT dressing because no other vehicle in our driveway has this problem..... and four of our six rides are dressed with Adam's Super VRT on the tires.

Any ideas... ???

IMG_1132.jpg

18 answers to this question

any updates Ed?

Yes!

Sorry, I'd forgotten all about this thread.... thought I posted it on another forum.

I cleaned the leaving beejeesus out of the tires.

Used AAPC no less that three times. Scrubbed hard with the ATB and dried them well with the Big Blue MF towels. Then gave each of them one final wipedown with paint thinners - as mentioned by a member earlie, whos name escapes me ATM - then used a heat gun to thoroughly dry the tires.

Put on a single application of ASVRT and didn't have a single "blank" spot as the pics portrayed previously! Applied a second coat - as I prefer the second application sheen - and the tires look brilliant!

I'm doing another clean on the Colorado soon, as it's long overdue, so I'll be sure to post pics so you can all see for yourselves.

Thanks for asking.

:thumbsup:

I'm fairly confident its the 'thirsty tire' thing... rubber right out of the shop is pretty dry in most cases.

Following up on my first post, try going REALLY heavy on the first re-application and letting it sit (even if it looks sloppy) for awhile, come back with a dry app, spread it around, then do a second 'standard' application.

Want to give that rubber every chance to pull in the VRT.

:iagree:My wife's Trailblazer did the same thing with the Michelin LTX/MSs on it. I put two coats on and it looked much better but still not perfect. After the next wash (didn't use APC, just brushed them) and another coat they looked perfect. It has been about 9 months since switching everything over to Adam's products and one coat still does it even with the PA winters.

The BFG Long Trails on my truck never showed this problem. I figured it was probably from 2 years of crappy Tire Foam usage. BTW: Avoid Tire Foam like the plague. Your tires will be brown after a couple of years. SVRT is soooooo much better!

Clean then with APC before you apply the SVRT.

When I got new tires this summer I had to do about 4 coats the first time I put SVRT on it cause it just soaked it up. Now it takes 1 or 2. I usually do 2 just to get that extra shine.

I'm fairly confident its the 'thirsty tire' thing... rubber right out of the shop is pretty dry in most cases.

Following up on my first post, try going REALLY heavy on the first re-application and letting it sit (even if it looks sloppy) for awhile, come back with a dry app, spread it around, then do a second 'standard' application.

Want to give that rubber every chance to pull in the VRT.

Check out Adams video of cleaning the tire. He scrubbed away from the center not just around, helps work the APC into the grooves.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've always scrubbed my tires in a circular motion in the past but will alter my method in the future.

However, I don't believe this is the problem's source as, if it was, the problem areas would be where the factory grooves on the tires run vertically only.

The pic clearly exhibits the problem areas are all over.

. It might sound crazy, but the tire will striped clean. Take an old rag and paint thinner to the tire. Any type of oil or grease will be removed. If you do this, you will need at least 2 coats of VRT because it will soak into the tire.

Certainly worth a shot.

Cheers.

Clean the tires again with APC and a brush.

Reapply VRT give it a little bit to settle, then put a second coat.

Will try this with the next clean and post an update.

Could be a few weeks though because this is my everyday ride and, while I do try and keep it relatively clean, I really don't care for it like I do the Tahoe.... probably explains why it's had its first tire dressing in six months or so.

;)

Indeed, clean those tires super well, brush and lots of APC. Looks as if the tires may still have some dirt, or old high gloss tire dressing remaining, which makes it hard for the SVRT to apply evenly.

What was the tire dressing used before ours?

We'll figure this out!:thumbsup:

Maybe dirt but certainly no tire shine of any kind.

As I posted in the opener, these tires have never had any kind of dressing previously, and they were purchased new.

The tires have about 2K on them as I purchased them brand new around August of 2010. I've never, till this day, had any tire dressing on them of any kind. Just washed and dried it the "normal" method.

I'm sure we'll figure it out Adam because I'm sure it's bugging you just as much as me.

:confused:

I've seen results like that in situations with "thirsty" tires where its like the rubber just soaks the stuff up for the first few applications.

When I went to the 22's on the Avalanche the new tires did that on the first application, 2nd application evened it out and I haven't had the problem since.

Indeed, clean those tires super well, brush and lots of APC. Looks as if the tires may still have some dirt, or old high gloss tire dressing remaining, which makes it hard for the SVRT to apply evenly.

What was the tire dressing used before ours?

We'll figure this out!:thumbsup:

I've seen results like that in situations with "thirsty" tires where its like the rubber just soaks the stuff up for the first few applications.

When I went to the 22's on the Avalanche the new tires did that on the first application, 2nd application evened it out and I haven't had the problem since.

:iagree: You might just have to build a base on the tire. It sounds like you're getting the tire completely clean so I don't think there is any oils or grease on them. If you are still getting bad spots after trying to re-apply 3x-4xs, I have an idea. It might sound crazy, but the tire will striped clean. Take an old rag and paint thinner to the tire. Any type of oil or grease will be removed. If you do this, you will need at least 2 coats of VRT because it will soak into the tire.

Yes Chris, I gave them two applications back-to-back and they looked great for a few minutes; but I never went back over them after the bloches surfaced.

I'm dumbfounded as I've never had this happen before....

Maybe some of the rubber is soaking up the VRT, I would go over again, after the bloches surfaced.:xfingers:

Archived